Quick response saves home
BOB FORD/TIMES NEWS Volunteer firefighters from Summit Hill Diligence Fire Company assess the damage after flames were extinguished.
A quick response from area volunteer firefighters saved a Summit Hill home from extensive fire damage Tuesday morning.
Black smoke and flames were seen shooting through the roof at the home, located at 2 E. Holland St., as firefighters from Summit Hill Diligence Fire Company and Lansford American Fire Company No. 1 arrived on scene, shortly before 11 a.m. The residence is owned by David Faenza.
Rich Gould, assistant fire chief of Diligence Fire Company, said the fire was extinguished quickly by volunteers and damage was contained to the third floor attic area.
He explained that the cause of the fire was believed to be electrical in nature and started in a vent fan on the third floor. The fire burned a four-foot hole through the roof.
Residents were home at the time of the fire. They were alerted by a neighbor who saw the flames.
Summit Hill Police Chief Joseph Fittos, who was on scene, commended the efforts of the volunteers.
"For volunteer organizations, they can't be any better," he said. "People should appreciate what they have in these firefighters."
Assisting Summit Hill and Lansford at the scene were Summit Hill Fire Police, Coaldale Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, Mahoning Valley Fire Company, Lehighton Ambulance, and Tamaqua Fire Department Rapid Intervention Team.