Skip to main content

Summit Hill man arrested for assaulting officer

  • Ricky Hunsicker Sr.
    Ricky Hunsicker Sr.
Published October 05. 2012 05:02PM

A Summit Hill man is behind bars under $5,000 straight cash bail for assaulting a Lansford police officer early Tuesday morning.

Ricky Hunsicker Sr., 43, faces charges of resisting arrest, escape, and two counts of simple assault stemming from the incident in which he attacked Det./Sgt. Jack Soberick.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, Soberick was on duty on the overnight shift from Monday into Tuesday when he was called to assist Summit Hill Officer Todd Woodward with a domestic violence investigation involving Hunsicker at 208/210 E. White St. in Summit Hill.

The matter appeared to be stabilized for the night, but two hours later, at 2 a.m., police were called to the address again, this time on a complaint of people outside the house, arguing about money and drugs. After arriving, Soberick learned there had been a physical confrontation that left Hunsicker's paramour injured. She told police Hunsicker had run off in the direction of Lansford.

The Carbon County communications dispatcher alerted Soberick that Hunsicker had called them and asked for Soberick. The call was generated from an area on Route 902 in Lansford. Woodward asked Soberick to go and arrest Hunsicker while he obtained statements from victims and witnesses.

Soberick found Hunsicker in the unit block of West Bertsch Street at 2:13 a.m. Hunsicker saw him and fled to the rear of an alley. Soberick looked for him, spotting him walking west in the 100 block of Bertsch Street.

As Soberick approached, he heard Hunsicker telling someone on his cell phone that "Jack Soberick is here now to take me to jail."

Soberick told Hunsicker he was not taking him directly to jail, but to the Summit Hill police station.

Hunsicker asked to be taken to a hospital because he needed help.

Soberick told Hunsicker to stop walking and that he was under arrest. But when Soberick reached out to take Hunsicker's arm to handcuff him, Hunsicker pulled away, yelling that he "can't go back" and that he was "not going back to jail."

Hunsicker freed himself from Soberick's grasp and ran west on Bertsch Street.

Soberick was closing the gap between himself and Hunsicker as Hunsicker approached the intersection of Bertsch and Centre streets. Soberick yelled for him to stop, but he refused, and continued to run.

When Hunsicker reached the crosswalk on Centre Street, he circled around and squared off with Soberick in a fight stance. He then lunged at Soberick, running into him while swinging and striking the officer's chest and face.

The impact knocked Soberick's tie and name tag off, and Hunsicker stepped back, only to launch another assault.

Soberick countered his moves, and took Hunsicker to the ground, subdued and cuffed him. He was taken to the Summit Hill police station for the domestic abuse incident, but the victim refused to cooperate with police.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries