Palmerton SD boilers project to cost $500,000
A project to replace antiquated boilers throughout several of its buildings could cost Palmerton Area School District over $500,000.
The school board, on an 8-0 vote on Tuesday, approved Barry Isett & Associates to put the bid out for the S.S. Palmer Elementary boilers. Director Darlene Yeakel was absent.
Rob Sarnowski, of Barry Isett & Associates, discussed the boiler situation in detail as part of a workshop meeting of the board of school directors.
Sarnowski said the cost to supplant the S.S. Palmer Elementary boilers/hot water heater would be about $200,000; the high school hot water heater $225,000; and the junior high school boilers/hot water heater $80,000, for a total of $505,000.
At a special meeting in August, the board agreed to authorize the firm to begin the planning phase to replace the boilers at the Palmer building.
In addition, Sarnowski discussed the potential replacement of the sidewalks/curbing at the high school, which he said would cost about $318,700.
Both projects would be paid for from out of the $850,000 that remains from the $5 million bond the district took out in 2010, at which time it also refinanced several previous bonds.
In other business, the board:
• Approved change order #004, CC Inc., High School Auditorium Renovations, project #1059010.014B. The contract is changed as follows: relocate the sound rack due to conflict with stage rigging. The contract sum will be increased by this change order in the amount of $3,490.
• Approved PlanCon K of the GOB series 2012 as prepared by RBC Capital Markets for submittal to PDE.
• Approved Debra Demyanovich as the Title IX Coordinator.
• Approved Kathleen Egan to attend the Principals Inclined to Lead Conference in Pittsburgh, PA, Oct. 21, 2012, through Oct. 23, 2012, at the cost of about $1,333, as provided for in the 2012-13 high school budget.
• Approved Joseph Plechavy as a volunteer to help with elementary music productions for the 2012-13 school year.
• Approved Robert Clee as a substitute custodian, effective Sept. 19, 2012.
• Approved the salary adjustments for horizontal movement on the respective salary levels per the teachers' pending negotiated contract for Roberta Yeager, Masters' +30 to Masters' +45; David Lavin, Bachelor's to Bachelor's +24; and Danielle Bowman, Bachelor's to Bachelor's +24; effective for the first semester of the 2012-13 school year.
• Removed substitute teachers Melissa Cangialosi, Jessica Gasper, Bonnie George, Megan Kibler, Beth Klein-Newton, Amanda Kromer, Allison Makar, Joseph Presgraves, Cody Sassaman, Valerie Schaeffer, Stephen Shanberger, Jason Shellhammer, Maria Shirar, Jared Smith, Joelle Snyder, Robin Snyder, Michael Sosik, for failure to return the Reasonable Assurance Letters.
• Removed substitute Guest Teachers Edward Anderson, Lisa Bartel, Kathleen Craigie, Pamela Kattner, Matthew Kosciolek, Roobhenn Smith and Randall Utsch for failure to return the Reasonable Assurance Letters.
• Removed substitute Support Staff members Gail Serfass, BillieJo Moyer, Tracy Serfass, David Bobst, Paul Muffley and Janice Blose for failure to return the Reasonable Assurance Letters.
• Removed Marybeth Altemus, support staff; Gene Prutzman, support staff; Clark Johnson, support staff; Christine Kosman, guest teacher; Aaron Fital, teacher; Marian Hoffner, teacher; and Jennifer Brown, teacher, as per their request.
• Approved the addendum for Archipelago Learning Consortium, Adding Additional Licensing, at a cost of $2,542 per year, for three years, to be paid from Accountability Block Grant funding to add Study Island to grades 7-8.
• Approved the contract with Westmoreland Business Center for the rental of a mail machine, beginning Oct. 1, 2012, and ending Sept. 30, 2017, with a year one annual fee of $1,724, and years 2-5, $1,964, with funding to be supplied from the general fund.
• Approved the use of the Palmerton Area School District logo for the Soccer parents club's programs.
• Approved the use of the district logo by the Soccer Parents' Club for T-shirts, pants, and all other soccer affiliated gear, retroactive to Sept. 18, 2012.
• Approved Unique Learning, Edmark Reading, and Connecting Math, as the main teaching material to be used in the Life Skills class.
• Approved the Dual Enrollment contract with Lehigh Carbon Community College.
• Approved the use of the Palmerton Area School District logo for the PAHS Class of 1972 Reunion booklet and brochure and newsletters.
• Approved the contract of agreement with Disc Jockey Kings (Joshua Solarczyk or David Semmel) for DJ services for school dances, sponsored by the National Junior Honor Society Club for the 2012-13 school year, as indicated, retroactive to Sept. 18, 2012.
• Approved a diploma from the Palmerton Area High School Class of 2012 for Sheldon Mann, effective Sept. 18, 2012.
•ÃÂº Accepted the gift of books from Whitney Babyak.