Skip to main content

Kidder manager expresses gratitude for assistance during storm

Published November 16. 2012 05:02PM

At Thursday night's township supervisors' meeting, Kidder Township manager Lisa Klem expressed her gratitude in the wake of superstorm Sandy.

"I want to thank everyone who helped out during the storm," said Klem, "the police, the fire companies and the ambulance service. I want to thank Bob Dobash, township emergency manager and township employee; and Pete Lambert once again for doing an excellent job."

Police Chief Matthew R. Kuzma added a word of thanks as well, but for a very different incident. Last month the body of Jubar Hughes of Newark, N.J. was found in a shallow grave off Henning Road in the township.

"I am sure that everyone knows about the gruesome discovery made on Oct. 22. I especially want to thank Lake Harmony Fire Company and Chief Lennon for their efforts in assisting the police at the crime scene," Kuzma told those present.

"It was raining that day. The fire company brought out tents, tarps and generators to the scene. Because of them we were able to preserve evidence and their assistance helped us to solve the case quickly."

In other business, the township held two 2013 budget workshops in October and in November. The supervisors passed a motion to advertise the proposed budget. The most significant changes for 2013 are that all non-uniform employees will now contribute 2.5 percent to their pension plan.

The only increase that will be passed on the residents under the new budget is an increase of .25 mils in the emergency services tax. The money collected through this tax will take the place of the current fuel allotment and insurance reimbursement, which was previously a line item in the township budget.

There will also be a change in how the emergency services tax revenue will be distributed. In 2013 20 percent of the revenue will be distributed to Kidder Volunteer Fire Company. The other 80 percent will be split evenly between Lake Harmony Volunteer Fire Company, Albrightsville Volunteer Fire Company and Lake Harmony Rescue & Ambulance Corp.

The .25 mill increase will amount to a $25 increase for every $100,000 of assessed real estate value.

The supervisors also approved the hiring of a new, part-time police officer. Jude T. Allen of Nuangola, a recent police academy graduate, will replace Officer Mark Cunningham, who is leaving to take a position in Philadelphia.

Also in new business the supervisors approved a donation of $590 to the Penn-Kidder Library Center, Inc.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries