Enrollment at PV is declining
Dr. Douglas Arnold, superintendent of Pleasant Valley School District announced the enrollment for the 2012 school year as of Oct. 1 was 5,454. That is 200 less than last year. And in the past two weeks, it lost another 13, bringing the enrollment down to 5,441.
"We're still in a decline," Arnold said.
Contributing factors include the economy forcing families to move out of the area and students enrolling in cyber and charter schools.
The district received a $50 memorial donation in the name of the late Florence Brown from her family.
The board approved, 8-0:
• Hiring Tim Hinton, replacement part-time Level II Technology education teacher for Erik Everett, effective Nov. 1, 2012, at $45,300 prorated salary and change of employment status and assignment from full-time paraprofessional associate at PVHS to part-time paraprofessional associate at PVI, effective Nov. 1; Valerie Seligman, replacement part-time, level II German teacher for Janice Young; Matt Hinnerschitz as a social studies substitute teacher; Mari Williams, substitute music teacher; Lisa Edgar, Carmela Fogarile as substitute monitors; Aracelis Machado and Elizabeth Pellei as substitute cafeteria workers; Lisa Edgar, monitor, replacement for Linda Napolitano, at $8.92 an hour.
• transferring Karl Rentzheimer (health and physical education teacher: from PVI to PVHS/PVI and Philip Masielo (health and physical education teacher) from Polk Elementary to Polk/PVE/PVI.
• resignations Maryjean Fedin, PVE monitor; Lisa Jaferis, substitute teacher; Robert D. Schaeffer, Jr., special education teacher; Beverly Galasso, substitute paraprofessional associate and monitor; Maria Spence, PVE monitor; Janice Young, PVMS part-time German teacher; Michele Witowski as 2012-2013 Chess Club advisor and sophomore class advisor
• Advisors Vanessa Fego, Chess Club; Catherine Barrett, sophomore class; Mark Rehrig, Kristen Matweecha and Jason Smith, PVHS Ski Club; Track and Field, Mike Wertman, Wayne Davenport, Drew Davis; 5th-grade Ski Club, Ed Boyce, Crystal Hicks; 6th-grade Ski Club Melinda Ludwig, Trevor Kresge; 3rd- and 4th-grade Ski Club Laura Ammermann.
• Justin Micklos as assistant junior high wrestling coach.
• Lindsay Monks, volunteer wrestling cheering coach.
The board approved the following in business management contracts, 8-0:
• $4,550 to Scholastic Education for PVHS basic product maintenance and support plan for reading remediation, no increase; $32,000 to Step By Step Learning, paid from Title I and Title III funds for services to provide LETRS Module 4 training for third-grade teachers; $12,000 to Material Storage Systems, Inc. for a stage mezzanine, paid from 2006 Bond Fund.
Pleasant Valley Intermediate School principal Todd VanNortwick reported that 300 Halloween costumes were donated and distributed to district children.
Pleasant Valley Elementary principal Joshua Krebs said that over 300 winter coats have been collected in the recent coat drive. The district will continue to collect them.
Polk Elementary's principal Kenneth Newman said that over 300 attended the Family Math, Reading and Technology Night for students K-sixth grade. Also, the district received two $1,000 grants from PPL because 60 households from PVE and 40 from Polk participated in a program in regards to helping with energy conservation. Every participant received a "Take Action at Home" kit.
Director James Spinola noted that director Harvey Frable was absent again from the board meeting and that he has missed the last eight months.
"If his absence is due to illness, perhaps we should send him a note of get well," he said.
Dr. Arnold replied that a get well card would be appropriate.