Emotional Support classroom planned at Panther Valley
The increasing numbers of students needing specialized educational plans prompted the Panther Valley school board on Thursday to agree to create a new Emotional support classroom at the high school, and seek a special-education teacher to staff it.
The moves were advised by Superintendent Rosemary Porembo and Supervisor of Special Education Dan Borden.
The action was among several taken by the board. Others included:
• Approving a new one-year contract with Behavioral Health Associates;
• Approved Tracey Fertally, Juliette Forbes and Holly Guedes as Extended School Year teachers at 30/hour for three days a week, from June 18 through Aug. 10;
• Approved Mary Ann Krajnak, Brooke Stuckley, and Linda Androkitis extended school year instructional aides at $15.50/hour; Charlene Lynn and Carly Romankow at $15.45/hour; Jackie Colancecco at $15.60/hour and Deb Schaller at $13.91/hour;
• Approved Pauline Davis as homebound teacher at the middle school at $30/hour;
• Appointed Liz Wehr as districtwide truant officer at $6,000. Wehr is also the middle school disciplinarian;
• Accepted the resignations of high school cafeteria server Barbara Boyd and substitute cafeteria worker Margaret Arner;
• Approved Jill Niehoff, Sheila McArdle, Nicole Hajcak, Tara Yuricheck and Christine Diekman as pre-kindergarten teachers from July 9 to July 20 at $30/hour;
• Approved the Panther Valley Education Foundation to use the elementary school to hold a summer science camp from June 18-22;
• Tabled to committee a proposal by School Director Irene Genther to reinstate the driver education theory class.