Northern Lehigh School District lunch costs to increase
Lunch prices will soon be on the rise in the Northern Lehigh School District.
The school board unanimously agreed on Monday to approve the recommendation of administration to raise the cost of lunches, effective Aug. 27.
At that time, the cost of lunch will increase as follows: elementary schools, from $2.15 to $2.25; middle school and high school, from $2.40 to $2.50; and adult lunches, from $3.85 to $4.
Sue Bahnick, director of food services, noted the government gave the district a formula by which it had to follow with regard to the lunch price increase.
In other business, the board:
- Approved administration to enter into a partnership agreement with Lehigh Carbon Community College in order to provide its students with greater options to earn concurrent high school/college credit. The term of the Dual Enrollment Partnership Proposal between the district and LCCC will be from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013.
- Accepted the retirement resignation of Debra Siglin from her position as fifth grade teacher at Slatington Elementary School, effective the end of the work day June 7, 2012. At that time, she will begin her retirement from the district after 27 years of service.
- Approved the appointment of Samantha Lilly, as a temporary vacancy replacement Slatington Elementary Special Education teacher, replacing an employee on medical leave, at a salary of substitute teacher rate days 1-30, day 31 and beyond $43,580 prorated (Step 1 Bachelors on the 2011-12 CBA Salary Schedule), effective March 7, 2012, with a termination date of June 4, 2012.
- Approved the request of employee #3360 to take a five week family medical leave starting Aug. 27, 2012, for the birth of her first child. The employee will be using sick days from Aug. 20-24, and then utilize her family medical leave. The employee's intention is to return to her current teaching position upon medical release from her attending physician, on or about Oct. 1, 2012.
- Approved the request of employee #3370 to take an unpaid leave of absence beginning April 27, 2012, until the end of the 2011-12 school year. She plans to to return to her current position at the beginning of the 2012-13 school year.
- Approved Jordan Nichols, elementary education & ESL, as substitute teacher for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute teacher rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing personnel file items.
- Approved Robert Wetzel as a substitute cafeteria worker for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing personnel file items.
- Approved, on an 8-0 vote, with an abstention from board President Edward Hartman. Shawn Rios as a substitute custodian worker for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing personnel file items. Hartman abstained due to personal reasons.
- Approved the Agreement of Sponsorship to Attend Another Pennsylvania Community College for Jared Scott Young, in accordance with the guidelines established under Policy #912. Beginning in the fall of 2012, he will be a full-time student at Northampton Community College to pursue his course of study in Automotive Technology.
- Approved the Supplemental Personnel Salary Schedule for the 2012-13 school year.
- Approved the co-payment amount for student athletes receiving a sports physical from OAA during the 2012-13 school year at a cost of $5 per student, in accordance with school board policy #122.
- Approved the first reading of school board policy #201, Pupils, Admission of Students, as presented.
- Approved the first reading of school board policy #815, Operations, Acceptable use of Internet and Information Systems, as presented.
- Appointed Sweet, Stevens, Williams & Katz, LLP as special counsel for the 2012-13 school year. The hourly rate for nonroutine matters will be $185 per hour. The rate for routine or general advice will be $140 per hour. There is no increase over last year's rates.
- Awarded bids for diesel fuel, #2 grade fuel oil transport delivery, and #2 grade fuel oil tankwagon delivery to Mansfield Oil, as well as bids for unleaded gasoline to Isobunkers, LLC.
- Elected Kulp as board treasurer for the 2012-13 fiscal year, effective July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2013.
- Granted homebound instruction for a third grade student, student no. 2190062, for five hours per week, effective April 2, 2012, and continuing until the end of the school year.