The Palmerton Hospital Auxiliary recognizes volunteers and new members
LINDA KOEHLER/TIMES NEWS The Palmerton Hospital Auxiliary presented certificates and pins to its dedicated volunteers. Some of those that received them are: front row, left to right-Gayle Eckhart, Belva Greene, Alice Frable, Nan Campton, Bernice Kleintop, Carol Papay, Janet Morgan; back row, left to right-Donna Mackes, Lillian Strohl, Elaine Waitkus, Delbert Eckhart, Lovey Irvin, Jenny Serfass, Joann Kercsmar.
The Palmerton Hospital Auxiliary (PHA) recognized their valued volunteers and welcomed new members at a tea held in their honor at the Palmerton Hospital's conference room.
Priscilla Offen, President of the Auxiliary, warmly welcomed everyone. Joe Guardiani of the Blue Mountain Health System (BMHS) Fund Development Directory and Auxiliary Liaison gave the prayer. Emily Bradbury, Auxiliary Past President, led all in the flag salute and Andrew Harris, BMHS President and CEO spoke words of greeting. Jenny Cheng-Serfass, PHA President-Elect led everyone in the Volunteer Pledge, which begins with, "Believing that the hospital has a real need of my services as a volunteer worker..." and then lists the many duties the volunteer pledges to perform.
PHA President Offen presented the awards.
Certificates were given to those volunteers who attained 50 hours of service. They are: Margaret Anthony, Debbie Brabec, Lenore Dreisbach, Gerry Eisenbach, Mary Gallagher, Carol Papay, Annette Rooney, Jenny Serfass.
Those who received the 100 Hour Pin are: Kathy Ahner, Perma Berger, Delbert Eckhart, Joann Kercsmar, Annette Rooney, Jenny Serfass and Nicole Swartz.
The recipients of a 500 Hour Pin are: Gayle Eckhart, Donna Mackes, Janet Morgan, Lillian Strohl.
Two volunteers received the 2,000 Hour Pin. They are Lovey Irvin and Elaine Waitkus.
The 3,000 Hour Pin and the honor of having their names added to the plaque in the lobby of the hospital are Nan Campton, Honey Cyr, Belva Greene and Bernice Kleintop.
Alice Frable received recognition for the notable service of 6,000 hours of volunteering.
The new members of the PHA are: June Andreas, Sue Anthony, Debbie Brabec, Gerald Eisenbach, Debra Gieniec, Elyse Hozza, Iren Light, Olin Frantz, Eileen Smith, Rachel Symons, Betty Thomas, Linda Williams, Beth Wright.
Lovey Irvin won the door prize, a lovely begonia plant.
The Palmerton Hospital Auxiliary was formed in 1912 "to assist the Palmerton Hospital through ways and means approved by the Governing Boards of the Auxiliary and the Hospital."
Through their fund-raising activities, they have raised more than a million dollars over the years, which has been used to purchase equipment for the hospital as well as support various renovation projects. In addition to fund-raising, the Auxiliary provides many hours of support services in the hospital. They deliver mail throughout the hospital, performs clerical tasks in various hospital departments, works with clients at the Adult Day Services Center, staffs the "Owl's Nest" gift shop and the "Nearly New" thrift shop. They work as nursing volunteers, decorates the hospital at Christmas time, and serves as officers, chairing committees and provides assistance when a special need arises in the hospital.
If you would like more information on how you can be a part of this rewarding organization, please call 610-826-1342.
Before concluding the ceremony, President Offen told the roomful of dedicated volunteers, "We couldn't do it without you."