Rapid response by fire crews save Tresckow home
ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Firefighters were quick to save a Tresckow home following a fire on the second floor.
Firefighters were quick to quell a house fire in Tresckow Friday morning that sent a mother and older son to Hazleton General Hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation.
Emergency responders were called to 4 East Hemlock Street just after 10:30 a.m. for a report of a structure fire. When they arrived, they saw high flames inside the second story window of the home.
Two residents of the rental property reportedly attempted to extinguish the flames themselves with buckets of water. Firefighters entered the home with fire hoses and quickly extinguished the fire, which was centered around a couch in a second floor living room. They also removed the smoldering furniture and a fire-damaged electric heater.
Three cats and one dog, all unharmed, were also removed from the building and cared for by family and friends.
Responding in addition to Tresckow Fire Company were firefighters from McAdoo, Hometown, Hazle Township, West Hazleton and Weatherly. Also responding was APTS Ambulance. Tresckow Fire Chief Joe Geusic credited the crews for their rapid response.
PPL shut power to the building. Firefighters removed windows and placed fans at exit points to expel the smoke. Following the response, officials, who said the fire appears accidental, taped up the home after deeming it unsafe and unfit for human habitation.
Tresckow Assistant Fire Chief John McNeal said the fire is still under investigation.
The American Red Cross is helping the fire victims.
No other injuries were reported.