Preparing daffodils and bears are Panther Valley students Ashlee Miller, 18, and Tyler Smith, 17, and 15 year volunteer Lisa Hiles.
Volunteers throughout our area came together in Summit Hill to help sort, put orders together and deliver daffodils for the Carbon-Tamaqua Chapter of the American Cancer Society Daffodil Days. The location was donated by Hiles Brothers Plumbing and Heating.
Volunteers will be at various locations throughout the area taking donations and selling ACS daffodils, Boyd's Bears and vases. Volunteers will be in Palmerton, Lansford, Tamaqua, Lehighton, Jim Thorpe and Nesquehoning.
In addition to the usual bunch of daffodils, supporters may choose from a Boyd's Bear with 10 daffodils or vase with 10 daffodils.
On Monday, UPS dropped off boxes for all the volunteers, who then went to work. Volunteers from the Panther Valley school and its Honor Society, Panther Valley Women's Club, Nesquehoning Women's Club, as well as volunteers from surrounding areas were on-hand to help.
As the first flower of Spring, daffodils are the perennial ACS symbol of hope for cancer patients throughout the community. Funds raised by the Daffodil Days campaign enable the ACS to save lives and create more birthdays by helping people stay well, helping people get well, by finding cures and by fighting back.
Caylan Chanwik, ACS East Region Community Income Development Representative, stated the society's great appreciation to all the dedicated volunteers, sponsors and contributors that support the drive every year.
Bob Stevenson, Carbon-Tamaqua ACS fifth-year Daffodil Days chair, said 80 percent of their goal usually comes from pre-sales, while the remaining 20 percent comes from direct sales at local businesses over the next few days. He added, "We hope to reach our goal of $40,000."
For more information about Daffodil Days, call the ACS at 888-227-5445, ext 3112.
The American Cancer Society is dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem by saving lives, diminishing suffering and preventing cancer through research, education, advocacy and service. For more information about the ACS, call 1-800-227-2345, day or night, or visit www.cancer.org