Woman burned while cooking
LARRY NEFF/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS
A woman was severely burned Monday night in a cooking incident in her home along the 100 block of south Fifth Street in Lehighton. The incident began near 7 p.m. when firefighters from Lehighton, Franklin township and Mahoning Valley were dispatched to a reported dwelling fire at or near 162 South Fifth St. A quick response by the fire companies kept the damage to a minimum although a woman received severe burns to her arms. One fireman at the scene said she was frying pierogies and was burned by the grease. The victim was treated at the scene by Lehighton paramedics before being transported by ambulance to the Lehigh Valley Hospital Burn Center in Allentown. Firefighters utilized smoke ejectors to clear the home of smoke.