New math curriculum for elementary students
A new math curriculum for elementary-age students will cost Northern Lehigh School District $75,000.
The school board, on a 7-0 vote on Monday, approved the purchase of the envision Math Curriculum Core 2012 for students and teachers in grades K-6. Directors Donna Kulp and Natalie Green were absent.
The total cost of the materials is not to exceed that amount, and will paid from the district's Curriculum and Instruction budget.
Also on Monday, the board authorized administration to enter into a contract with the Carbon-Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21 for the eLearn 21 Virtual Learning Program partnership, beginning with the 2012-13 school year.
Director Gary Fedorcha asked Superintendent Michael Michaels if he was comfortable that the program would last more than two years.
Michaels told Fedorcha he was, but that his only concern is that enough other school districts agree to join in the program.
High school Principal Robert Vlasaty added "I'm really excited about the prospect of having a Bulldog Academy, K-12."
Fedorcha said he's all for the program, so long as it means it can bring students back to the district.
In other business, the board:
• Approved a resolution to adopt the 2012-13 Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit Facilities Plan Committee Report that was adopted by the CLIU Facilities Plan Committee on Jan. 27, 2012.
• Accepted the retirement resignation of Eric Wassum from his position as Slatington Elementary sixth grade teacher, effective on or about April 4, 2012. At this time, he will begin his retirement from Northern Lehigh School District after 30 years and seven months of service.
• Appointed John Rice to second shift custodian/ maintenance position at a salary of $9 an hour from 2:30-11 p.m., five days a week, effective March 13, 2012. The appointment is pending verification of missing documents.
• Approved the request of employee #870 to take a family medical leave on or about May 10, 2012. The employee is requesting one week of family medical leave to care for a family member.
• Approved Csala Peters, Elementary & Special Education, as a substitute teacher for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute teacher rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule. The appointment is pending verification of missing documents.
• Approved Deborah Handwerk as substitute secretary, cafeteria worker and custodian for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule.
• Approved school board policy &907, Community, School Visitors, as presented after the second reading.
• Approved a field trip request for the National Honor Society, high school, to attend New York City, NY, April 14, 2012, to be funded by National Honor Society students.
• Approved a field trip request by the Science Club, high school, to attend Baltimore, MD, April 29, 2012, to be funded by Science Club students.
• Approved a senior class trip, high school, to Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ, May 29, 2012, funded by Class of 2012.
• Approved budgetary transfers for the 2011-12 school year, including any budgetary transfers for the end of year audit.
• Approved the renewal of the district's cellular phone service with Verizon Wireless for the two phones used by the district's maintenance department for $57.68 per month. This is a month-to-month agreement.
• Granted homebound instruction for an 11th grade student, Student No. 1390008, for five hours per week, effective Feb. 20, 2012 and continuing until about May 20, 2012.