I-81 ramps at exits 131 and 138 closed for construction
andy Leibenguth/Times news Above, the closed onramp to I-81 from SR309 in Kline Township. At right, a PennDOT contractor tears up roadway at the exit 138 off ramp.
Interstate 81 ramps at both the McAdoo/Hometown and Mahanoy City/Hometown exits ramps are closed as workers perform reconstruction work on ramps.
The northbound on ramps to I-81 from the Mahanoy City/Hometown exit 131, will be closed for construction work until about April 30; while all four of the McAdoo/Hometown on and off ramps at exit 138 are estimated to be closed for almost four months.
The road work is part of the I-81 reconstruction project that started last year with the resurfacing of I-81 between the Luzerne County line and the Hometown/Mahanoy City exit. PennDOT has published established bypass detours.
Exit 138 Detours:
• Traffic from Route 309 to the I-81 north on-ramp will use Route 309 north to Route 424 west to I-81 north.
• Route 309 to the I-81 south on-ramp traffic will use Route 309 south to Route 54 west to I-81 south.
• Traffic for the I-81 North to Route 309 off-ramp will be detoured to the Mahanoy City/Hometown exit 131 of I-81 to Route 54 to Route 309.
• The I-81 South to Route 309 off-ramp traffic will be channeled to the Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce exit 141 of I-81 to Route 424 east to Route 309 south.
Flashing signs alerting drivers to the closing of the McAdoo exit have been activated along I-81.
Exit 131 Detours:
• Traffic from the Route 54 to the I-81 North on-ramp will be detoured to Route 54, Morea Road, to I-81 South to Route 61 (at Exit 124 Frackville/Saint Clair) to I-81 North.
• The I-81 North off-ramp to Route 54 will be rerouted to I-81 North to the Delano exit 134 to Grier City Road to I-81 South to Exit 131.
Also, guiderails between the Mahanoy City/Hometown exit and Exit 112, which accesses Route 25, will be replaced.