Skip to main content

Fire origin determined

Published June 26. 2012 05:01PM

A fire that caused extensive damages to a well-known Schuylkill County restaurant late Sunday night started in a utility closet on the deck of the restaurant, a state police fire marshal determined.

Trooper Joseph Burns, of the Frackville barracks, said the fire at Madeline's restaurant, located at 1100 E. Market St., Orwigsburg, caused heavy smoke and water damage to the kitchen, bar and dining room areas, as well as the second floor and attic.

The fire was discovered about 11:25 p.m. By the time firemen arrived on scene flames were visible from several areas in the stone structure. The fire was brought under control in about an hour.

No one was injured. Burns estimated damages of $100,000. His investigation into the blaze is continuing.

The owners of the restaurant have indicated they plan to start rebuilding as soon as possible and reopen as soon as possible.

A photo of the fire scene appeared on page three of Monday's TIMES NEWS.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Twitter Feed


Free Thanksgiving dinner

40.7998156, -75.6618547

Thanksgiving dinner...

Free community dinner planned

40.9241424, -75.3935318

Zion United Lutheran...

Over-60 Club of Palmerton to meet

40.8035349, -75.6063859

The Over-60 Club of...

Reader Photo Galleries