Blues Festival scheduled at Blue Mountain Ski Area
Special to the TIMES NEWS Joe Louis Walker will be among the 15 national Blues acts who will perform at this year's Pennsylvania Blues Festival held this weekend at Blue Mountain Ski Area in Palmerton.
They wear their emotions on their sleeves, and treat each show as if it were their last.
No doubt the intensity will be off the charts at this weekend's Pennsylvania Blues Festival at Blue Mountain Ski Area in Palmerton.
The event will get under way Friday evening with a performance by Mikey Junior & The Stone Cold Blues Band from 8 p.m. to midnight. Gates open Saturday at noon, and on Sunday at 1 p.m.
This year's festival will feature 15 national Blues acts on two stages over three days, according to Heidi Lutz, director of sales and marketing.
"There will be something for every Blues fan, young and old," Lutz said. "Along with amazing Blues music, we will have numerous vendors and crafters, and attendees can even sleep under the stars (camping)."
Lutz added the hope for this year's event is "to continue the tradition of excellent Blues music in the Poconos. Along with great Blues, we are always excited to show guests everything Blue Mountain has to offer."
"Last year was a great success," she said. "Because it was the 21st year of Blues in the Poconos, we had a loyal group of festival attendees that came to Blue Mountain."
Prior to last year, the event - then known as the Pocono Blues Festival - had been held from 1992 to 2010 at Big Boulder Ski Area in Kidder Township.
Saturday's entertainment lineup is as follows:
- Marquise Knox, 1-2:15 p.m.
- Otis Taylor Band, 2:45-4 p.m.
- Big Sam's Funky Nation, 4:30-5:45 p.m.
- Joe Louis Walker, 6:15-7:30 p.m..
- Billy Branch & The Sons of Blues with Lurrie Bell, Carlos Johnson & Demetria Taylor, 8-9:30 p.m.
- Dawn Tyler Watson & Paul Deslauriers, 1:30-2:30 p.m..
- Wallace Coleman, 3-4 p.m.
- Billy Branch & Lurrie Bell, 4:30-5:30 p.m..
- Dawn Tyler Watson & Paul Deslauriers, 6-7 p.m.
- Wallace Coleman, 7:30-8:30 p.m..
- Big Sam's Funky Nation, 9-10 p.m.
Saturday Night Jam
- Steve Guyger and The Excellows, 9:30 p.m.. to 1:30 a.m.
Sunday's entertainment will be as follows:
- Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens, noon-1:15 p.m.
- Eugene Hideaway Bridges, 1:45-3 p.m.
- Teeny Tucker, 3:30-4:45 p.m.
- Earl Thomas, 5:15-6:30 p.m..
- Brooks Family Blues Dynasty Featuring Lonnie, Ronnie & Wayne Baker-Brooks, 7-8:30 p.m..
- Corey Harris, 1-2:15 p.m.
- The Brooks Family - Acoustic, 2:45-3:45 p.m.
- Corey Harris, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Eugene Hideaway Bridges, 5:45-6:45 p.m.
- Teeny Tucker, 7:15-8:30 p.m..
For more information, call (610) 826-7700, or visit www.skibluemtn.com.