Mahoning police report incidents
Several incidents were reported by the Mahoning Township Police Department.
• James and Shannon Rehrig of Lehighton have been charged with cruelty to animals as a result of an incident on July 3.
Police said that at 2:40 p.m. on that date, a 911 caller reported a dog locked inside of a vehicle with the windows up in the Carbon Plaza Mall parking lot.
The driver returned to the vehicle, and left before police arrived. At the time of the report the temperature was 90 degrees.
• On July 6, at 2:35 p.m., a male juvenile reported he was assaulted near the Mahoning Creek on Ashtown Drive. He described the assailant as a white male, about 5-8 to 5-10 inches tall with black hair, wearing no shirt, and black shorts.
A search of the area was conducted, and police were unable to locate the assailant. No further description is available, anyone with information is asked to contact Mahoning Township Police at 570-386-2241
• On July 7, 2012 at 3:03 p.m., police responded to a report of a male wearing jeans and no shirt throwing rocks at passing cars on SR209.
On arrival officers identified the intoxicated male as Edwin Mertz a resident of Mauch Chunk St (SR209).
Mertz was cited for public drunkenness, and being a pedestrian under the influence of alcohol.
• On July 8, at 1:40 a.m., a patrolling officer came in contact with a 16 year old female walking in the middle of SR209 on the Mansion House Hill. The juvenile was found to be under the influence of alcohol. She was cited for public drunkenness, and underage drinking.
• On July 9, at 4 p.m., the Chiu Kwan Kitchen Restaurant reported four customers walked out without paying for their food valued at $23.55. The persons were not identified. Anyone with information is asked to contact Mahoning Township Police at (570) 386-2241.