Road improvement to cost $60,000
A project to improve one of its roads will cost Lower Towamensing Township nearly $60,000.
The township's board of supervisors unanimously agreed on Tuesday to award a contract to Bracalante Construction, Inc., of Northampton, which submitted the apparent low bid of $59,360, to fix Dairy Road from Maple Drive to Gulf Road.
However, as part of their approval, supervisors said the contract would be awarded based upon review by township solicitor Jim Nanovic.
Seven companies submitted proposals to the township. Bracalante's bid was $1,991 less than the next lowest amount of $61,351 turned in by Lehigh Asphalt Paving & Construction Co., of Tamaqua.
Other companies that bid were Livengood Excavators Inc., of Walnutport ($63,985); Eastern Industries Construction Division, of Center Valley ($64,488); Hanson Aggregates, of Stroudsburg ($69,482); Popple Construction, Inc., of Laflin, Luzerne County ($70,903); and Pennsy Supply, of Wapwallopen, Luzerne County ($71,642).
Supervisors Chairman Ron Walbert said he was satisfied with the apparent low bid.
"I think $59,000 is a real good price, considering the economy," Walbert said. "We have plenty of money in liquid fuels to do that."
Also on Tuesday, Walbert announced there have been two instances where people took aluminum cans from out of the recycling bins behind the township's municipal building.
"Once whatever is in the bins, it's not a good idea to take them out," he said. "When they're in, they're in."
In other business, supervisors:
- Agreed to make a payment to Livengood Excavators, in the amount of $21,969, for work completed at the Stoney Ridge P.A.R.C.
- Agreed to spend $7,382 to repair the motor of the township's yellow Peterbilt truck.
- Granted permission to Blue Mountain Ski Area to add a 2,500-square-foot slope.
- Approved the repository sale of tax parcels 29C-33-10.08, and 29C-33-10.01
- Approved garbage exemptions for Andrew Pisulak and Elizabeth Versuk.
- Agreed to take out a half page ad for a convention to be held at the Mahoning Valley Ambulance Building.