Skip to main content

Alleged altercation with police lands man in jail

Published January 05. 2012 05:02PM

A Schuylkill County man was jailed after getting into a physical altercation with a Slatington police officer on New Year's Eve.

Bruce Hawk, 30, of Ashland, faces charges of two counts of simple assault, along with one count each of aggravated assault, harassment, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and criminal mischief.

He was originally incarcerated in Lehigh County Prison, but posted bail and was released on Tuesday.

No date has been established for Hawk's preliminary hearing before District Judge Rod Beck of Slatington.

According to the affidavit of probable cause filed by Slatington patrolman Matthew Houser:

On Dec. 31, at about 8:40 p.m., Houser was driving down South Second Street, when he heard a male on North Second Street yelling profanities at a group of juveniles.

The affidavit says Houser stopped the male in Sell Alley between Main Street and North Street. The male would not listen to Houser when he was told to stop, and ran through the yard of 49 North Street.

As Houser came through the same yard, people in the yard told him that Hawk ran out onto North Street. Houser then ran out onto North Street, and found Hawk hiding under a silver Ford Explorer.

The affidavit reads that Houser directed Hawk to come out from underneath the vehicle. After being told multiple times, the man came out.

Another officer reportedly arrived on scene to assist Houser. Hawk continued to walk away from Houser, when Houser informed him that he was under arrest, states the court document.

Hawk allegedly began to resist by not giving Houser his hands to handcuff him. Houser informed Hawk that he would get tased if he did not listen to his command.

Houser eventually deployed his taser, in the form of a drive stun to the lower stomach. The taser reportedly had no effect, and Hawk tried to punch Houser, when officer Clifford Ponas took Hawk to the ground, says the affidavit.

Hawk allegedly got on top of Ponas and punched him in the face with a closed fist. Then Hawk reportedly tried to choke Ponas with his hand around his throat, before he was handcuffed with assistance from officer Fredericks from the Walnutport Police Department.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries