Skip to main content

Two arrested in Beaver Meadows

Published February 28. 2012 05:01PM

Two persons were arrested following an incident in Beaver Meadows that occurred on Thursday, Feb. 23

Police Chief Michael Morresi reported about 4 p.m. he was parked on Berwick St. looking for a Jeep Cherokee vehicle that was involved in an incident in Freeland in which a police officer was injured and the suspect fled the scene.

Morresi observed a Jeep Cherokee traveling on SR903 with front end damage head southbound and fit the description of the vehicle wanted in the Freeland incident.

Morresi began to follow the Jeep southbound when it turned onto Tamaqua St. without the use of turn signals.

After turning onto Tamaqua St. the driver stopped the Jeep and four hispanic males jumped out and fled on foot. Morresi noted he did not activate his emergency lights at this point.

Morresi pursued two of the males and called for backup. He followed the two onto Main St., New Coxeville, kept yelling for them to stop. As Morresi continued the foot pursuit he fell and injured his knee. He got back up and continued to pursue the male.

He observed the two at the rear of 39 Main St. and watched them kick the back door open and enter the home. Morresi waited outside until backup arrived. A short time later Officer Bogart of Weatherly police arrived and the two went into the home and found the two suspects laying on the floor.

The two were identified as Delvin Diaz, 21, of 33-35 Saratoga Ave,. Brooklyn, N.Y., and Carlos Jorge, 21, of 33 E. Tamarack St., Hazleton. They told police they riding around the area smoking marijuana. They also claimed they did not know the name of the other two males who fled the vehicle.

They were taken into custody and transported to the borough police station.

The two were later charged with burglary and related offenses and were arraigned before District Judge Joseph Homanko, of Weatherly, who set bail for each defendant at $50,000 straight cash. Neither were able to post bail and were committed to the county prison in Nesquehoning.

Morresi was treated and released at the Hazleton General Hospital for the knee injury.

Also assisting Morresi and Weatherly police were police from Nesquehoning and state police from Hazleton.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


November 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries