Heating malfunction forces district to relocate students
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Northern Lehigh School District has made Adequate Yearly Progress for the 2010-11 school year. Pictured are (l-r) Linda Marcincin, principal, Slatington Elementary, Robert Vlasaty, principal, high school, Scott Pyne, assistant principal, high school, and Paul Rearden, principal, Peters Elementary.
A heating issue at an elementary school in the Northern Lehigh School District caused students to be relocated.
Superintendent Michael Michaels informed the school board on Monday that the incident occurred at Peters Elementary.
"A computer chip fried, so we relocated the students to the high school and middle school," Michaels said. "Everyone did a great job working today."
Principal Paul Rearden said the situation was handled appropriately.
"It was a really great team effort," Rearden said. "Everybody did what they were supposed to do."
Rearden said the mishap occurred when an electronic control in the heating system failed, which was discovered as part of the building check between Sunday night and people coming to work Monday morning.
Teachers were notified of the situation, and the students were brought in to get their belongings, before they were loaded onto buses and transported to the middle school and high school, Rearden said.
The students loaded the buses at 1:30 p.m., and were transported back to Peters, Rearden said. The buses were back in time to do their regular runs, and the students were dismissed at the normal time, he said.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the request of employee #1105 to take an uncompensated leave in accordance with School Board Policy #539, effective Jan. 30, 2012, for approximately 4-6 weeks for her own medical reasons. The employee's intention is to return to their current position upon medical release from their attending physician.
• Rescinded the appointment of Candice Saville in the amount of $631.41, from her position as Junior Class Advisor for the 2011-12 school year, which was originally approved at the Aug. 8, 2011 board meeting.
• Rescinded the appointment of Mark Hoffman from the position of Middle School Spring Intramural Weightlifting Advisor for the 2011-12 school year, which was originally approved at the Aug. 8, 2011 board meeting.
• Approved Saville for Junior Class Advisor for the period Aug. 2011 through Jan. 2012, in the amount of $315.71.
• Approved Tammy Fristick for Junior Class Advisor for the period Jan. 2012 through June 2012, in the amount of $315.71.
• Approved Robin Blocker as unpaid volunteer aide in the middle school for the 2011-12 school year.
• Approved Marlene Simock as unpaid volunteer aide in Slatington Elementary for the 2011-12 school year.
• Acknowledged that teacher Christopher Bennett has completed the requirements per the Collective Bargaining Agreement that would entitle him to a salary increase for the second half of the 2011-12 school year, from Step 3B+24, to Step 3M.
• Approved Alexander Orr, Social Studies, Justin Quinter, English, and Krystallyn Reis, Early Childhood Education, as substitute teachers for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute teacher rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule. The appointments of Orr and Reis are pending verification of missing documents.
• Approved Donna Missmer as substitute secretary, cafeteria worker and custodian for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule.
• Removed substitute employees Donna Bauer, Adrain Bumbulsky, Shannon Burky, Jacob Bushner, Timothy Chappelear, Ian Robert Dollman, Andrew Drake, Anne Elstner, Jeanine Villano-George, Corrine Hoffman, and Kristy Kratzer from the current substitute list due to not filing the required Act 24 documentation by the Dec. 27, 2011 deadline.
• Approved a request by Lora Krum to attend the PA Music Educators Association Annual Conference from April 19-21, 2012, in Lancaster. The cost for registration is $130, lodging, $321.90, travel, $48, for a total approximate cost of $499.90, to be funded by the Slatington Elementary Music Department Budget.
• Approved a request by Nicholas to attend the PA Association of Federal Program Coordinators Annual Conference from March 25-28, 2012, in Hershey. The cost for registration is $360, lodging, $536.13, travel, $77.70, and meals, $58, for a total approximate cost of $1,031.83, to be funded by Title I Funds.
• Announced National School Counseling Week was held Feb. 6-10.
• Announced the annual CLIU School Board Conference will be held on March 29 at the Lehigh Carbon Community College Community Services Center.