Panther Valley votes in favor of CCTI budget
Panther Valley school board on Thursday voted in favor of the Carbon Career and Technical Institute's 2012-13 budget.
Panther Valley's share of the $6,983,946 spending plan next year comes to $887,138 - $14,840 more than the 2011-12 portion.
Further, CCTI Business Administrator Jeffry P. Deutsch said the school chose not to bill Panther Valley about $39,000 this year due to the poor economy.
Instead, he said, CCTI found places to cut back.
Deutsch and administrative director David Reinbold attended Thursday's public board meeting to explain the budget.
The higher costs of teachers' contracts, retirements and energy have increased the upcoming budget, he said.
In a related matter, the board elected school director Michelle Markovich as Panther Valley's representative to CCTI.
She replaces Anthony DeMarco, who resigned as representative last month.
In other matters Thursday, the board:
• Changed the administrative leave of an employee identified only as #695 to unpaid administrative leave. The employee has been on paid administrative leave since Nov. 21;
• Hired Jacqueline Nalesnik as a substitute instructional aid at $8.80 an hour;
• Approved Cathryn Seachrist as a guest teacher at $85 per day;
• Added the following to the list of substitute teachers at $85 a day: Heather Lauricella, Tamaqua, and Tiffany Titus, Weatherly;
• Approved Jacqueline Murphy as a short-term substitute at the elementary school retroactive to Jan. 30 through March 8 at $135 a day;
• Approved Janet Branchide as a long-term technology education substitute teacher at the middle school retroactive to Jan. 19 at a salary of $34,685.