Carbon Senior Games
AMY MILLER/TIMES NEWS Organizers of the Carbon County Senior Games, Anne Horrigan, left; Cheri Santore, center; and Victor Pituch, remind seniors that the games will be held in May. Carbon County residents over the age of 60 can sign up for the games beginning in March.
Carbon County seniors, it's that time of year again.
It's time to get ready for the upcoming 2012 Senior Games.
The organizers of the games, which include Anne Horrigan, coordinator; Victor Pituch, director; Cheri Santore, director of the Carbon County Area Agency on Aging; and Cindy Bizzare, administrative assistant, announced that the schedule for the games has been released.
The Senior Games, which are slated to take place May 1-10, include basketball, pool, darts, ping pong, shuffleboard, bean bag toss, horseshoes, swimming, miniature golf, softball throw, one-mile walk, bocci, dancing, bingo and more.
Horrigan noted that there is one change in location for this year's events. A third location for the pool event has been added so more seniors can shoot at the same time.
There will still be five teams on which seniors will be placed, depending in which school district - Lehighton, Panther Valley, Jim Thorpe/Penn Kidder, Weatherly and Palmerton - they reside. But, new to the games, Horrigan mentioned, is that when seniors sign up next month, they will be asked how they would like to see the Commissioners' Cup decided. Currently, the proposal breaks the teams into north division (Weatherly, Panther Valley and Jim Thorpe) and south division (Lehighton and Palmerton).
The defending champion is Lehighton.
Sign-ups for the Carbon County Senior Games will be held in March. Sign up sheets will be made available at all senior centers in Carbon County at that time; as well as at the Carbon County Area Agency on Aging office in Palmerton.
"We're always looking for new participants to join us," Horrigan said.
For more information on the 2012 Carbon County Senior Games, contact any of the senior centers.
The list of events, which will take place at the Lehighton Recreational Center beginning at 9:30 a.m. unless otherwise noted, are:
• Tuesday, May 1, opening ceremonies, shuffleboard, team pictures and bean bag toss.
• Wednesday, May 2, basketball shoot and darts.
• Thursday, May 3, pool: there are three locations, Terpstra's, located at 501 North St., Jim Thorpe, and Jim Thorpe/Penn-Kidder Senior Center, 995 Route 903, Jim Thorpe. The schedule is as follows: at Terpstra's, 9 a.m., men ages 70-74; 10 a.m., women 70-74; 11 a.m., men 75-79; noon, women 75-79. At Jim Thorpe/Penn-Kidder Senior Center, 9 a.m., men 65-69; 10 a.m., women 65-69; 11 a.m., men 60-64; 11:30 a.m., women 60-64. At the PV Senior Center, 9 a.m., men 80-84; 10 a.m., women 80-84; 11 a.m., men 85 and up; 11:30 a.m., women 85 and up. At 4 p.m., swimming. This event will be held at Panther Valley High School.
• Friday, May 4, miniature golf: 10 a.m. at Heisler's Dairy Bar, Tamaqua.
• Monday, May 7, 8:30 a.m., bowling (65-69, 70-74 and 80-84) at Fritz's Lanes and Pro Shop, Second and South streets, Lehighton and bowling (60-64, 75-79 and 85 and up) at Cypress Lanes, Fourth street, Lehighton. Noon, ping pong at Lehighton Recreational Center.
• Tuesday, May 8, Philip Steigerwalt Memorial Walk, softball throw, horseshoes and bocci. These events will take place at Baer Memorial Park.
• Wednesday, May 9, Bingo, pinochle and rummy, and dance competition.
• Thursday, May 10, rain date for Tuesday, May 10, and 4 p.m., banquet at Mahoning Ambulance building.