'A Rita Coolidge Christmas' at Penn's Peak, Sat.
"Rita Coolidge - A Rita Coolidge Christmas" will be presented at 8 p.m. Saturday at Penn's Peak in Jim Thorpe.
Rita Coolidge makes her Penn's Peak debut on Saturday night.
She brings "A Rita Coolidge Christmas" to the stage of the Jim Thorpe venue, with the concert getting underway at 8 p.m.
Tickets are just $19 and $24 and will be available at the door.
Coolidge is best known for the hits "The Way You Do The Things You Do" and "Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher"
She said that putting together the Christmas concert is one of the most important projects of her career.
Her press release says, "A Rita Coolidge Christmas-the two time Grammy Award winning singer's highly anticipated debut on Savoy/429 Records-is a musical holiday celebration she's been working on all her life."
Even before she could walk, Rita would sit in a rocking chair and hum "White Christmas." Over the past ten years, Coolidge has come full circle with the timeless sounds of the season, performing her favorite holiday classics on a popular Christmas tour.
Because the love of family has always been a foundational part of her life and extended family gatherings are among her most precious Christmas memories, the timing of recording "A Rita Coolidge Christmas" is especially serendipitous and poignant.
Her father, a Baptist minister who read Bible verses and funny Cajun holiday stories on Christmas Eve, passed away in February.
Since he died, her mother has had numerous health issues and lives with Coolidge, who tends to her daily needs. Finding blessing amidst the hardship was a challenge, but the singer is happy to have finished the recording by her father's last Christmas and was able to play it in its entirety for her father and mother.
As they listen, perhaps Coolidge's fans from multiple generations can imagine her father lighting up at the memories sparked by his daughter's beautiful and creative versions of these timeless classics, including "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree," "Let It Snow," "Winter Wonderland," "Baby, it's Cold Outside" (a duet with raspy voiced drummer Lynn Coulter), "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town," "Little Drummer Boy" and "Jingle Bell Rock."
Coolidge enters the deeper spiritual portion of the album with the richly inspirational, powerful gospel ballad (complete with choir) "Circle of Light"-a tune Coolidge penned with her sister Priscilla and originally released by Walela, the trio exploring Native American music that the Coolidge sisters formed with Priscilla's daughter Laura Satterfield in the late 90s.
Coolidge then pays homage to her rich Cherokee roots by singing several verses of "Amazing Grace" in the tribe's native language before closing with a familiar English verse. Highlighted by a haunting bagpipe solo, it contemplates and celebrates the grace of God in the same way the Cherokee did when they sang it on the Trail of Tears in the 1830s.
She says, in her press release, "My voice is so much richer now than when I was younger, and it is an instrument I have learned so much about over the years. I'm happiest when I'm making and playing music, and it's always been the thing that gives me strength and helps me endure the hardest times."
Other upcoming concerts at Penn's Peak are as follows:
• 15 - Rita Coolidge - A Rita Coolidge Christmas, 8 p.m. Tickets $19 and $24.
• 28 - Hollywood Nights with Special Guest Human Wheels, 8 p.m. Tickets $20 advance, $25 day of show.
• 12 - Dickey Betts & Great Southern with Scott Weis Band, 7:30 p.m. Tickets $27 advance, $32 day of show.
• 1 - Little River Band with Special Guest Fran Cosmo, 8 p.m. Tickets $27 reserved, $32 premium.
• 15 - The Pink Floyd Experience, 8 p.m. Tickets $30 and $35.
• 23 - Bruce in the USA, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance, $22 day of show.
• 9 - QueensrÃÂ¿che with Bang Tango, 8 p.m. Tickets $30 advance, $35 day of show.
• 23 - Bobby Vinton, 8 p.m. Tickets $35 and $40.
• 19 - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes, 8 p.m. Tickets $22 advance, $27 day of show.
• 4 - Tanya Tucker, 8 p.m. Tickets $29 and $34.
• 27 Happy Together Tour 2013 - The Turtles with Flo & Eddie; Chuck Negron, formerly of Three Dog Night; Gary Puckett & the Union Gap; Mark Lindsay, former lead singer of Paul Revere & the Raiders, and Gary Lewis & the Playboys, 8 p.m. Tikcets $39 and $44.
• July 12 - 7 Bridges, The Ultimate Eagles Experience, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance, $22 day of show.
• 22 - "The Grand Tour" George Jones' Farewell Tour to his Fans, 8 p.m. Tickets $55 and $65.