Time capsule contents revealed in Palmeton
Several months after it was exhumed, the contents from inside Palmerton's Centennial Time Capsule have been revealed.
Members of the Palmerton Area Chamber of Commerce were clued in on Tuesday as to what exactly was found within the 12-by-14 foot capsule.
But, as chamber President Peter Kern previously noted, many of the items "were found to be in various stages of mildewing and damage."
"It really didn't have that much inside," Kern said. "Our disappointment was that there were very few artifacts."
Designed by the late Warren E. Siegmond and built by the New Jersey Zinc Co., the rocket, named the S.S. Palmer Enterprise, was buried in the southwest corner of the borough park on Oct. 8, 1988.
The Time Capsule was then dug up in August by Matt Lang, of Lang's Landscaping & Tree Service, Palmerton, in preparation for the construction of the Palmerton Veterans Memorial. The veterans memorial was dedicated last month on Veterans Day.
Representatives of the Palmerton Area Historical Society, assisted by members of the Aquashicola Fire Company - under the direction of Rory Koons - opened it in the borough garage, a process that took over an hour to open with the use of grinding equipment.
Kern said the items are available at the Palmerton Heritage Center to the organizations, individuals and relatives to whom they were addressed.
"Many of the items, we will have them next door at the Heritage Center," he said. "We're going to make every effort to see that the people do get them back."
The list of contents that were contained within the Centennial Time Capsule include items from:
- American Legion MaderGaydos Unit 269
- Bert's Steak House
- Brothers of the Brush
- Camera Club
- Concourse Club
- Ali & Nicholas Delich
- Michael & Thomasine Falcone
- First United Church of Christ
- Stephen & Rita Goidich
- Great Valley Girl Scout Council - Palmerton
- Mr. & Mrs. A.R. Harry
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Robert A. Johnson
- Mary Kocher
- Meals on Wheels of Palmerton
- Elizabeth Meirs
- Robert & Nancy Mendsen
- Mark & Janet Mooney
- Robert & Irene Obrecht
- Over Sixty Club
- Palmerton AmbulanceAssociation
- Palmerton American Legion
- Palmerton Borough Council
- Palmerton Borough
- Palmerton Exchange Club
- Palmerton Fire Company No. 1
- Palmerton Hospital
- Palmerton Library Association
- Palmerton Memorial ParkAssociation
- S.S. Palmer School
- Salem United Methodist Church
- Slovak Gymnastic Union School Lodge 21
- Jeanne Stemler
- St. John Neumann School
- St. John's United Churchof Christ
- Towamensing Elementary School
- Trinity Evangelical Congregational Church
- Annette & Tom Wargo
- Zinc Corporation of America