Skip to main content

Mahoning Township fire starts in chimney

  • LARRY NEFF/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS Smoke pours from the back of a home on Chapel Drive in Mahoning Township.
    LARRY NEFF/SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS Smoke pours from the back of a home on Chapel Drive in Mahoning Township.
Published December 13. 2012 05:03PM

A firefighter was injured Wednesday battling a stubborn fire which began as a chimney fire at a home along Chapel Drive in Mahoning Township.

The fire was reported at 11:15 a.m. in a dwelling along the 400 block and when Mahoning police arrived on scene, they reported smoke showing.

Fire companies from Mahoning, West Penn and Franklin townships, as well as Lehighton, responded to the scene.

Mahoning police arrived on scene to find the residents had escaped unharmed, according to a press release from Mahoning Officer In Charge Audie Mertz.

The fire had its start in a chimney servicing a wood-burning stove on the first floor and was spreading into a wood-framed wall.

The stove's chimney became blocked causing the fire.

While firefighters were battling the fire on the second floor, a firefighter from the Lehighton Fire Department suffered a leg injury.

He was transported for treatment by Mahoning Valley Ambulance. His condition is unknown.

The scene is just a short distance from the Normal Square intersection.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Nearby

Bombers get creative with parade floats

40.8014826, -75.6101867

Some of Palmerton’...

Man faces charges for shooting his dog

40.8014826, -75.6101867

Charges have been...

Extension hosts annual dinner

40.7986942, -75.8104747

The Carbon County Ex...

Reader Photo Galleries