Autumn Art Show raises cultural awareness and benefits Jackson Volunteer Fire Co.
SPECIAL TO THE TIMES NEWS Right, Griz Gannon, president of the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Co., accepts donations from the first annual Monroe-Carbon County Autumn Art Show from artist Andy Collazo, who also donated the painting on the right, "Movin' In" to the fire company.
The first annual Monroe-Carbon County Autumn Art Show was a huge success.
The gala inaugural cultural event drew large crowds to the Jackson Township Volunteer Firehouse in Reeders, and spectators at the event were unanimous in their laudatory remarks about the quality of the artwork on display.
This year's participating Carbon County Art League-Pocono Mountains Art Group (CCAL-PMAG) artists were juried by Thomas Augusta, a noted regional art juror, who presented award ribbons, as follows:
• Watercolor: 1st Place, Gary Embich; 2nd Place, Joy Warner; and 3rd Place, Will Daskal.
• Oil: 1st Place, Marjorie Long; 2nd Place, Will Daskal; and 3rd Place, Dolores Midure.
• Acrylic: 1st Place, Steve Kager; 2nd Place, George Miller; and 3rd Place, Julia Saeger.
• Photography: 1st Place, John Stoj; 2nd Place, George Miller; and 3rd Place, Nancy Embich.
• Mixed Media: 1st Place, Steve Kager; and 2nd Place, Beverly Lambert.
• Pastel and Charcoal: 1st Place, Audrey Altemose; and 2nd Place, Marjorie Luchart.
• Best of Show: Andy Collazo.
As an added highlight to the event, noted acrylic artist and retired NYC Firefighter Anibal "Andy" Collazo presented an original acrylic painting entitled "Movin' In" as a donation to the Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Department, in honor of all the volunteers who serve the community.
In addition, PMAG and CCAL members set up a voluntary collection box for patrons who visited the show, with 100 percent of the money donated to the fire department.
Plans are already under way to return next year with an even bigger, joint CCAL-PMAG autumn art show.
For more information about the Pocono Mountains Art Group, the public is welcome to attend one of its free, informative meetings. PMAG meets on the second Tuesday of the months of March, April, May, September, October and November from 7-9 p.m. at the Western Pocono Community Library, 2000 Pilgrim Way, in Brodheadsville.
For more information about the Carbon County Art League, call (570) 325-9804.
For more information about the next autumn art show, as well as all Pocono Mountains Art Group activities and meetings, or information about meetings, contact PMAG at (570) 236-5808 or visit pmagroup.org.