Skip to main content

Christmas tree safety tips at your residence

Published December 11. 2012 05:01PM

Decorating homes and businesses is a long-standing tradition around the holiday season. Unfortunately, these same decorations may increase your chances of fire.

Following a few simple fire safety tips can keep electric lights, candles and the ever popular Christmas tree from creating a tragedy.

The Pennsylvania Fire and Emergency Services Institute says:

• Don't put your live Christmas tree up too early or leave it up for longer than two weeks.

• Place trees away from heat sources, including fireplaces or heat vents. The heat will dry out the tree, causing it to be more easily ignited by heat, flame or sparks.

• Keep the live tree stand filled with water at all times.

• Use only nonflammable decorations.

• Don't link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it's safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet.

• Avoid using lit candles; consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles

• Ensure that Christmas trees and other holiday decorations don't block an exit way.

For more tips on how to prevent a holiday fire and what to do in case a fire starts in your home, visit the U.S. Fire Administration's website at www.usfa.fema.gov

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries