District to replace boilers; cost will exceed $200,000
Palmerton Area School District plans to supplant boilers at one of its elementary schools.
The school board, on an 8-0 vote at a special meeting on Tuesday, agreed to authorize Barry Isett & Associates to begin the planning phase to replace the boilers at S.S. Palmer Elementary. Director Darlene Yeakel was absent.
That decision came after the board heard a presentation from Tim Sisock, of Barry Isett & Associates, at a workshop meeting of the board of directors earlier in the evening.
Sisock, who at the workshop session suggested several projects the board might want to consider in the 2012-13 school year, said it would likely cost between $200,000 to $250,000 to replace the boilers.
He also recommended to the board that it look into replacing the sidewalks/curbing at the high school (west side and front), at an estimated cost of between $110,000 to $130,000; at the junior high (west side), $30,000 to $40,000; and at Towamensing Elementary (rear), $3,500 to $4,000.
Other projects Sisock suggested work to include additional site lighting at the athletic complex ($300,000); high school nurse office/locker room ($60,000); replace risers/manhole lids ($25,000); S.S. Palmer roof drains ($12,000); and to televise underground facilities at a rate of $1,200 per day.
Board President Barry Scherer asked Sisock to compile a list of prioritized projects, along with an estimated cost, in time for the board's Sept. 4 workshop.
Also on Tuesday, Joseph Faenza, director of facilities, informed the board during the workshop that swift action is required at Towamensing Elementary with regard to sidewalks, septic tank manholes, and the loading dock.
Faenza said the cost to do all three items would be about $15,000, with the sidewalk repairs the most costly among them.
Scherer then instructed Faenza to take money from the contingency fund portion of his budget to pay for the repair of the manholes.
In other business, the board:
• Authorized Barry Isett & Associates to televise the district's underground utilities.
• Approved change order for the high school auditorium renovations project. The contract is changed as follows: To remove unknown electrical neon and quartz lighting fixtures, wire and conduit. The contract sum will be increased by this change order in the amount of $3,098.
• Approved change order for CMG of Easton, Inc. junior high gymnasium project. The contract is changed as follows: Additional cost associated with Rain Leader Rerouting as shown on BIA site Plan C1.0 issued June 5, 2012. The contract sum will be increased by this change order in the amount of $14,887.
• Appointed director Yeakel as voting delegate to attend the 2010 Legislative Policy Council during the school Leadership Conference on Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012.
• Approved construction accounts payable.
• Hired Whitney Babyak and Dawn Burke as co-assistant girls soccer coaches, effective Aug. 9, 2012.