Vehicle accident results in large power outage in Rush
ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Police and firefighters keep their distance from the sparking wires.
More than 900 PPL customers in Rush Township were without power this morning after a 16-year old driver from Qaukake crashed his Chevrolet sedan into a pole at the intersection of Fairview Street and Marian Avenue near Air Products.
Emergency personnel were called to the area around 5:45 a.m. after someone noticed the burning pole lying in the roadway. When Rush Township police arrived, they noticed a pole lying on the ground shooting sparks and on fire.
They also noticed a damaged 2008 Chevrolet sedan in the front yard of a nearby home. The man, who was not in the vehicle when police arrived, was later found and taken via ambulance to St. Luke's Hospital in Coaldale.
Police said that the car continued to travel approximately 200 yards through a field before coming to rest in someone's front yard. Police also added that the driver admitted to drinking and showed signs of intoxication. The driver is facing DUI and other charges pending blood work.
Due to heavy sparks and fire, police, firefighters and fire police closed off the area until PPL could arrive and do repairs. In addition to closing Marian Avenue and detouring traffic around the downed pole, Hometown firefighters and fire police could be seen hooking up a generator to traffic lights at the SR309 and SR54 intersection in Hometown.
Also responding were Tamaqua Police, Quakake Fire Company and Ryan Township Ambulance/Rescue. Power was restored to most customers by 8 a.m.