Gym renovation to cost $366,200
Palmerton Area School District will spend $366,200 to renovate its junior high school gymnasium.
The school board, by an 8-1 margin on Tuesday, agreed to award the project to CMG of Easton, per the recommendation of Tim Sisock and Rob Sarnowski of Barry Isett & Associates. Director Charles Gildner was opposed.
The work is for a multi-prime contract for soil stabilization and renovations to the gymnasium, including demolition, concrete milling and overlay, new athletic flooring, telescoping bleachers, and finishes.
Superintendent Carol Boyce previously said the soil under the floor will be stabilized, the floor leveled and recovered with a new athletic surface, the bleachers replaced, and the gym painted.
Boyce said the project will be paid for from out of the district's $5 million bond that the prior school board agreed to borrow last fall.
Also on Tuesday, the board approved the purchase of K-6 social studies textbooks, as well as K-8 music textbooks.
The social studies textbooks cost $83,541, and will be paid for from the district's 2011-12 budget, while the music textbooks cost $48,356, and will be paid for from the 2012-13 budget.
In other business, the board:
• Approved the resignation letter for the purpose of disability retirement for employee #9482, effective July 1, 2012.
• Denied, by a 5-4 vote, the unpaid three-day suspension of employee #8895 for March 16, 19, and 20. Directors Tammy Recker, Josann Harry, Sherry Haas, Charles Gildner and Joshua Smale voted to not approve the unpaid suspension, while directors Darlene Yeakel, Susan Debski, Clarence Myers and board President Barry Scherer voted to approve it.
• Approved Sofia Mendes to the position of part-time custodian, assigned to Towamensing Elementary, effective April 9, for five hours per day. Salary is according to the support contract.
• Approved change order #001 for the completion of the district water mitigation project, C&D Waterproofing Corporation project #1059010.010. The contract sum will be decreased by this change order in the amount of $1,000, and the new contract sum including this change order will be $35,350.
• Approved the Summer Skills Sharpener Program, with all costs funded through general fund. Persons working in the program, along with their recommended remuneration, will be brought to the board for approval upon determination of student interest in the program.
• Approved the Easton Coach Company Bus Transportation Service Contract for the PHS Environmental Club field trip to Washington, D.C., on May 11.
• Accepted the donation of $3,684 from the Gridiron Club in support of the football program.
• Accepted the gift from the Palmer PTO of the second grade trip to the Philadelphia Zoo.
• Accepted the amendment to grievance 11-12-6TM, (now grievance 11-12-8TM), and maintain the denial of this grievance.
• Accepted the first reading of policy #815, Acceptable Use of Technology Resources/Internet.