Skip to main content

Monroe residents urged to document and report flood related damages

Published September 13. 2011 05:01PM

Monroe County residents who sustained damages to their homes or businesses as a result of flooding from the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee should report those damages to local municipal officials as soon as possible.

"It's very important for residents to file preliminary damage reports as soon as possible with their local governments," said Monroe County Emergency Management Agency Director Guy Miller.

Miller said there are three basic steps citizens should take. Affected people should: photograph and document losses; report damages to the township or borough office; and save receipts from cleanup and repairs on their property.

"Homeowners, renters, and business owners should document damage with photographs and detailed information on the losses they have sustained," Miller said. "Even if you have insurance and don't anticipate asking for federal assistance, this information will show the overall impact of this storm, and could help local communities get money to rebuild roads, bridges and other public infrastructure."

Miller said this information will also be crucial if Pennsylvania later gets a disaster declaration, making financial aid available to individuals and businesses. He said at that time, state and federal officials will issue instructions on how people can sign up for assistance.

If a disaster declaration that includes Individual Assistance (IA) is issued, the Federal Emergency Management Agency will staff disaster recovery centers (DRC) in the counties included in the IA declaration. DRCs are one-stop shopping for citizens, where they can get information on every available federal resource in order to recover from the flooding.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries