Skip to main content

Mother, son displaced by electrical fire in Tamaqua

  • ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Tamaqua Police Officer Michael Hobbs reaches for a fire extinguisher during the response.
    ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Tamaqua Police Officer Michael Hobbs reaches for a fire extinguisher during the response.
Published October 21. 2011 05:02PM

A mother and son are displaced following a small electrical fire that started near their electrical box of their Tamaqua home.

Around 5 p.m. Thursday, Schuylkill communications received a call of arcing wires and heavy smoke in a home at 234 East Elm St. The home is lived in by Josephine Marshakas and her son Leroy Kowalczyk.

Tamaqua Police were first to respond and noted a lot of smoke exiting the home. Firefighters from all four Tamaqua fire companies responded and spent considerable time going through the heavily congested home eventually tracing the source of the smoke. PPL also responded to turn off power to the home.

Utilizing thermal imaging cameras, TICs, firefighters found the source to originate below a section of the front porch and between parts of the wall. Firefighters had to cut a hole in the front porch and other parts to the home to reach the fire. Also responding were Tamaqua Ambulance, who assisted Marshakas. Tamaqua Fire Police closed East Elm Street and Market Street for the duration. Both Kowalcyk and Marshakas are staying at a hotel couresty of the Tamaqua Salvation Army. No serious injuries are reported.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries