Carbon Senior Games preparing for 23rd year
AMY MILLER/TIMES NEWS Victor Pituch, one of the organizers of the Carbon County Senior Games, right, announces the start of the one-mile walk during the 2010 games. Open practice sessions for this year's games will be held every Thursday in April, from 10-11:30 a.m., at the Lehighton Recreational Center. The 2011 Carbon County Senior Games will be held May 3-12.
Calling all Carbon County seniors who would like to participate in the upcoming 2011 Senior Games.
The organizers of the games, which include Anne Horrigan, coordinator; Victor Pituch, director; Cheri Santore, director of the Carbon County Area Agency on Aging; and Cindy Bizzare, administrative assistant, announced that there will be open practice sessions for the games taking place for participants on Thursday, April 7, 14, 21, and 28, from 10-11:30 a.m., at the Lehighton Recreational Center, Eighth and Iron streets. Events that will be practiced include shuffleboard, bean bags, basketball and darts.
The Senior Games, which are slated to take place May 3-12, include basketball, pool, darts, ping pong, shuffleboard, bean bag toss, horseshoes, swimming, miniature golf, softball throw, one-mile walk, bocci, dancing, bingo, and more.
Horrigan noted that there are two changes in locations for this year's events. The miniature golf event will now be held at Heisler's Dairy Bar in Tamaqua and the closing banquet will be held at the Mahoning Ambulance building in Mahoning Township.
There are five teams that seniors on which seniors will be placed, depending in which school district they reside. Teams include Lehighton, Panther Valley, Palmerton, Weatherly and Jim Thorpe/Penn Kidder.
The defending champion is Lehighton, which placed first last year with a score of 599. Jim Thorpe seniors placed second with a score of 581.
Sign-ups for the Carbon County Senior Games will be held in April.
Registration forms for any senior who will be 60 or older by May 3, and who wants to participate in the games, can be picked up at the senior centers in Lehighton, the Panther Valley area, Palmerton, Weatherly, and Jim Thorpe/Penn Kidder, or at the Office of Aging in Palmerton. Forms can be returned to any of the centers, marked "Attention: Senior Games."
For more information on the 2011 Carbon County Senior Games, contact any of the aforementioned senior centers.
The list of events, which will take place at the Lehighton Recreational Center beginning at 9:30 a.m. unless otherwise noted are:
• Tuesday, May 3, opening ceremonies, shuffleboard, team pictures and bean bag toss.
• Wednesday, May 4, basketball shoot and darts.
• Thursday, May 5, pool: there are two new locations, Terpstra's, located at 501 North St., Jim Thorpe, and Jim Thorpe/Penn-Kidder Senior Center, 995 Route 903, Jim Thorpe. The schedule is as follows: at Terpstra's, 9 a.m., men ages 70-74; 10:30, women 70-74; noon, men 80-84; 1 p.m., men and women 85 and up; 1:30, women 60-64. At Jim Thorpe/Penn-Kidder Senior Center, 9 a.m., men 65-69; 10 a.m.; women 65-69; 11, women 80-84; noon, men 75-79; 1 p.m., 75-79; 1:30, men 60-64. At 4 p.m., swimming. This event will be held at Panther Valley High School.
• Friday, May 6, miniature golf: 10 a.m. at Heisler's Dairy Bar, Tamaqua.
• Monday, May 9, 9 a.m., bowling (65-69, 70-74 and 80-84) at Fritz's Lanes and Pro Shop, Second and South streets, Lehighton and bowling (60-64, 75-79 and 85 and up) at Cypress Lanes, Fourth street, Lehighton. Noon, ping pong at Lehighton Recreational Center.
• Tuesday, May 10, Philip Steigerwalt Memorial Walk, softball throw, horseshoes and bocci. These events will take place at Baer Memorial Park.
• Wednesday, May 11, Bingo, pinochle and rummy, and dance competition.
• Thursday, May 12, rain date for Tuesday, May 10, and 4 p.m., banquet at Mahoning Ambulance building.