Board passes 1.9 percent budget hike
Pleasant Valley School District's school board passed the 2011-2012 General Fund Budget with a 6-1 vote.
School board member Harvey Frable gave the only "no" vote. Board members John Sabia and Jim Spinola were absent.
The new budget shows a 2.726 mill increase, which is a 1.9 percent increase over last year's, that totaled 146.016 mills.
On a home with an assessed value of $20,500, at the 2011-2012 millage rate of 146.016, the base tax due is $2,993.33.
State funding amounts are still uncertain.
The board approved the 2011 Homestead and Farmstead Exclusion Resolution with the maximum homestead assessment exclusion of $3,074 and maximum farmstead assessment exclusion of $3,074. The maximum homestead tax exclusion will be $448.85 and maximum farmstead tax exclusion will be $448.85. There are 9,046 county-certified approved homesteads and 34 county-certified approved farmsteads within the school district.
Penny Derr, principal at PVE is being transferred to principal at PVI, effective as of July 1, at an annual salary of $103,518. Joshua Krebs, assistant to the PVE principal, has been approved for PVE principal at an annual salary of $85,000.
Jennifer O'Keefe, PVI/PVE speech teacher, will be transferred to PVI speech teacher, effective for the 2011-2012 school year.
Letters of resignation were accepted from Kimberly Stanziola, PVI teacher, effective June 14, and Silvia Suero-Rodriguez, PVI paraprofessional associate, effective June 14. She wishes to remain on the substitute paraprofessional associate and substitute teacher rosters.
Mark Malfa was hired as a substitute custodian.
The board approved Dr. David Pierce at a cost of $4 per student as grades K-12 school dentist, Dr. Narendra V. Ambani at a cost of $22 per student as grades K-9 school physician and Dr. Mary Ellen DeFranco at a cost of $15 per student as grades 10-12 school physician.
The following contracts were approved:
• CSI at a $475 cost annually (no increase from last year) for preventive maintenance agreement for Polk Elementary School intercom, effective Sept. 1, 2011-Aug. 31, 2012
• SportCare at a $3,390 cost for annual site visit with written inspection for Synthetic Turf Field; Turf Field deep cleaning $3,390;
• Carbon-Monroe-Pike Drug and Alcohol Commission, Inc. at a cost of $18,375 for drug and alcohol prevention/intervention services for 2011-2012 school year;
• Pocono Medical Center, d/b/a Pocono Occupational Medicine for hepatitis B vaccines at $87 each, hepatitis B antibody at $135 each, venipuncture at $28 each, for individuals who are required by law, effective July 1, 2011 for one year;
• PA Treatment and Healing for alternative education for disruptive youth agreement for services at a cost of $70.51 a day, effective for the 2011-2012 school year;
• Scientific Learning Corporation at a cost of $4,500 for a renewal agreement for support and services for PVHS from Aug. 31, 2011-Aug. 31, 2012 to be paid through a grant. No increase from last year;
• Scientific Learning Corporation at a cost of $6,000 for a renewal agreement for support and services for PVI from June 18-2011-June 18, 2012 to be paid through Title I ARRA funds. No increase from last year;
• Success for All Foundation at a cost of $34,300 for staff development renewal, effective July 1, 2011 for one year. It is to be paid through Title I ARRA funds;
• Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13 Pennsylvania Microsoft EES Program at a cost not to exceed 4144,217.50 for five years. Term contract is for Aug. 1, 2011-July 31, 2016.
The board approved the bid awards for winter athletic supplies and equipment for $9,908.14 with full tabulation available at business office.
Approval was given to advertise for sealed bids for spring athletic supplies and equipment and musical instruments.