'Miner's picnic held at No 9 Mine was a flashback in time
Andy Leibenguth/Times News Earl and Joan Billig, owners of their 1929 Ford Model-A, AACA members Greg Cussatt, event coordinator Shawn Frederickson, John R. Poko with his "number 57" 1951 Ford Custom, No. 9 Mine secretary Dale Freudenberger and AACA treasurer Dave Bielen with his 1970 Chevelle SS.
The Old Fashioned Miner's Memorial Day Picnic, held on Memorial Day at the No. 9 Mine and Museum in Lansford, reminded visitors of the of by-gone days when coal was king.
It was a time when the coal companies would stop mining operations for one day and hold a picnic for the coal miners and their families. Miners would dress in their "Sunday Best" and were sometimes treated to food, drinks and entertainment.
In addition to enjoying a large variety of ethnic foods, visitors to the modern-day version held on Memorial Day toured the region's largest coal mining museum while also enjoying the classic cars on display via the Anthracite Region Antique Auto Club of America (AACA). The mine, which is the world's oldest continuously operated anthracite coal mine (1855-1972), also offered rides deep into the mines.
Event volunteers Shawn Frederickson and Dale Freudenberger thanked the volunteers that helped put this event together. The mine's annual Coal Miner's Heritage Festival will be held July 10.
For more information about future events visit their website at http://no9mine.tripod.com/ or call the No. 9 Coal Mine and Museum at (570) 645-7074.