Farmer's Market program offered to eligible seniors
The Carbon County Area Agency on Aging will be participating in the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's senior farmer's market program.
Staff from the agency will be distributing $20 in vouchers, free to eligible seniors for the purpose of encouraging older adults to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables from local growers who make their produce available at farmer's markets. This program benefits Pennsylvania farmers through increased sales and the seniors through increased nutrition. People participating in the program may only receive these vouchers one time per season.
Vouchers will be distributed at the following dates and locations. All distribution times are noon to 2 p.m.
• Monday, June 13, Panther Valley Senior Center, 90 E. Catawissa St., Nesquehoning.
• Thursday, June 16, Lehighton Senior Center, 243 S. Eighth St., Lehighton.
• Monday, June 20, Weatherly Senior Center, 335 Third St., Weatherly
• Friday, June 24, Palmerton Senior Center, 501 Delaware Ave., Palmerton
• Monday, June 27, Jim Thorpe/Penn Kidder Senior Center, Bear Creek Plaza, Route 903, Jim Thorpe.
• Thursday, June 30, Lehighton Senior Center, 243 S. Eighth St., Lehighton.
To be eligible to receive the vouchers, you must be a Carbon County resident age 60 or older with a gross annual income at or below $20,147 for a single individual and $27,214 for a couple. Proof of age and residency is required by showing your driver's license or photo ID.
For those who cannot go to the distribution sites, a representative can pick up the vouchers for them, as long as they bring a completed proxy form signed by the person who the vouchers are for. The proxy form is needed even for those picking up for their spouse. A couple is entitled to $20 each.
The proxy forms are available in advance at all five senior centers and the Area Agency on Aging by calling 1-800-441-1315.