Skip to main content

Worker zapped

  • ANDY LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Firefighters pull off siding to find hot spots and stop the fire from spreading.
    ANDY LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Firefighters pull off siding to find hot spots and stop the fire from spreading.
Published July 28. 2011 05:01PM

A half-duplex home located at 200 West Ludlow St., at the intersection of North Walnut Street in Summit Hill, suffered smoke and exterior damage Wednesday after a young man working on the roof accidentally contacted a 7,200 volt conductor power line with a piece of the roof's drip edge.

Summit Hill Fire Chief Shawn Hoben said that after PPL's quick response to turn off power, firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to search for hidden hot spots as grounding current spread to various parts of the home.

The home is occupied by Jacqueline Collevechio.

Hoben also pointed out the great response and teamwork from surrounding fire companies.

Most of the damage was limited to the home's exterior as firefighters removed siding to stop small hidden electrical fires and search for unseen hot spots.

Responding were fire companies and ambulances from Summit Hill, Tamaqua, Coaldale and Lansford. Fire police redirected traffic around the scene.

The young male on the roof was treated at the scene and taken via ambulance to St. Luke's Miners Miner's Memorial Hospital, Coaldale, as a precaution.

No serious injuries were reported.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Upcoming Events

Twitter Feed

Nearby

Faith Alive UMC hosts ‘Revival on Purpose!’

40.804927, -75.656958

Faith Alive UMC, 678...

Pumpkin social in Tamaqua

40.7986307, -75.9683447

Zion Lutheran Church...

Feed the People hosts Halloween celebration

40.830215, -75.88356

Feed the People is h...

STEP-Up Tamaqua to meet Monday

40.798347, -75.970851

STEP-Up Tamaqua will...

Reader Photo Galleries