Skip to main content

No. 9's head house stands test of time

  • ANDY LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Dave Kuchta, President, No. 9 Mine and Museum, Lansford, shows waiting mine tour riders how far the head house stretched down the mine.
    ANDY LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS Dave Kuchta, President, No. 9 Mine and Museum, Lansford, shows waiting mine tour riders how far the head house stretched down the mine.
Published July 13. 2011 05:01PM

One topic of a mine tour discussed during the No. 9 Mine Coal Miner's Festival held on Sunday was about the large steel head house, aka head frame. The head house, built in the early 1900's, is still located in the mountain behind the Boyer's Food Market, Lansford, and stretches approximately 1,800 feet north of the mine's Dock Street mine entrance.

No. 9 Mine President, Dave Kuchta, mentioned that the head house was last used in 1969. The house utilized two steel pulley wheels, aka sheaves, weighing 8-tons each, which operated the two elevators that were used to lower and lift mine cars and miners between the four underground levels in the mine's 900 foot deep shaft. The sheaves were cast in Bethlehem Steel. Despite suffering almost a hundred years of mother nature, vandals and metal scrappers, the house and its two sheaves still stand today.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar

<<

October 2017

>>
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    

Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries