Three escape Slatington inferno
Bob Ford/Times news Firefighters use their aerial truck to train water on the double home in the 400 block of Center Avenue, site of this morning's Slatington fire.
Flames ripped through a double home in the 400 block of Center Avenue in Slatington this morning, resulting in at least two reported injuries.
Neighbors first reported seeing smoke come from the roof of the building at 405 Center Ave. at about 8:30 a.m. When firefighters reached the scene, at least one side of the home was nearly fully involved.
There was an initial report of possible entrapment and firefighters worked swiftly to assure that everyone got out of the structure. A woman on the roof was reportedly rescued by firefighters.
According to reports from the scene, two people, one a child, suffered fractured ankles jumping from a second story roof to escape the flames. The child was reportedly the grandchild of Peter Lalik, who lived at the residence at 405 Center Ave.
Freelance news photographer Larry Neff said the building became an inferno, and that both sides of the double home sustained serious damages. One side of the house was gutted.
One neighbor said during a telephone conversation at about 10:15 a.m. "the roof on the (Lalik) house just collapsed."
Firefighters from throughout the region battled the blaze. Slatington Fire Department answered the initial call as well as volunteers from the Walnutport, Slatedale, Emerald, and Friedens departments.
Eventually dispatched were firefighters from Palmerton and Lehigh Township. The Aquashicola and Lehighton Fire Departments were asked to respond for stand-by status at stations.