Skip to main content

Woman assaulted, hospitalized; Lehighton man charged in beating

Published February 17. 2011 05:00PM

A Lehighton man whose alleged physical assault has caused a woman to be hospitalized in intensive care will appear in court next month.

Bruce Deibert, 45, of 95 Market St., is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing at 9:30 a.m. March 23 before District Judge Bruce Appleton of Palmerton.

Deibert faces charges on one count each of aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, and harassment by physical contact.

He is currently incarcerated in Carbon County Prison in lieu of $100,000 straight bail.

According to an affidavit of probable cause filed by patrolman Franklin Lorah of the Franklin Township Police Department:

On Feb. 13 at about 8:07 a.m., Lorah was dispatched to assist EMS at the above address for a female patient who had sustained a head laceration, according to the affidavit.

Upon arrival, Lorah went to the front door, knocked, and started to enter when Deibert, who is the homeowner, was at the door, the affidavit says.

Deibert's hands were covered in blood and he said the woman was "in here" walking toward the kitchen area.

Lorah followed Deibert and found the victim lying on the floor in the laundry room at the back door. The victim had a laceration on the top of her head and was bleeding profusely.

Lorah then requested EMS to step up their response, and asked Deibert what happened. He said the victim slipped and fell, hitting her head.

Deibert said he then called 911. Deibert started to give a brief written statement, before he requested his attorney.

Lorah stayed with the victim until EMS arrived on scene. The victim was then transported to Lehigh Valley Hospital by Lehighton EMS.

After the victim was taken out by EMS, Lorah processed the scene and contacted Officer Jason Doll and Officer Frank Buonaiuto.

Officer Doll and Officer Buonaiuto went to Lehigh Valley Hospital to interview the victim.

The victim gave a statement to both that at midnight, she arrived at The Boatyard in Franklin Township, and Deibert was there, but the victim did not talk to him.

The victim then went to Deibert's house at about 1:30 a.m. and waited for him to arrive. Deibert arrived at his home with another woman. Both the victim and Deibert went into the house and had an argument, when the victim said Deibert punched her in the eye, at which point she fell, losing her glasses and an earring.

At about 2 a.m., the victim left and went to another man's house. The man called Deibert, advising him that he messed the victim up. The victim then went to her daughter's house, where she stayed until about 4:30 a.m. The victim then went back to Deibert's house at around 5 a.m.

When the victim arrived back at Deibert's house, she entered through the back door, as she has in the past, and went to Deibert's bedroom to talk to Deibert, when a verbal argument ensued between them.

Deibert punched the victim and she fell to the ground. The victim was knocked unconscious, waking with Deibert stating "Please wake up, please don't do this to me."

The victim went unconscious again, and woke with Deibert cleaning up the blood with a mop and a dog licking her face.

Deibert then stated that the victim was going to get him in trouble. The victim then went unconscious again, until she woke up with EMS. The victim stated that Deibert was the only one that hit her.

The victim is currently in the intensive care unit with bleeding on the brain.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries