Skip to main content

Another storm due this weekend

Published February 03. 2011 05:00PM

Enough, already.

Today and tomorrow are expected to be gorgeous, with sunny skies and temperatures hovering around 31 degrees, perfect weather to finish chopping the ice off your sidewalk and driveway and sprinkle the steps with rock salt in anticipation of yet another round of snow, and in some areas, snow, sleet and rain.

Forecasters are expecting another storm to roll in this weekend, this one bringing 3-5 inches of precipitation.

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly, New Jersey, which tracks weather in the Carbon County area, is forecasting a 50 percent chance of snow starting after 1 a.m. Saturday morning, with a 70 percent chance of snow throughout the day Saturday, with temperatures in the low 30s. The chance of precipitation falls to about 30 percent Saturday night. That's in the Lehighton area.

In the Tamaqua area, forecasters expect the early Saturday morning precipitation to include sleet and freezing rain.

But a brief respite will come Sunday and Monday, with temperatures in the mid-30s and sunny skies.

Then, there's a good chance we'll get more snow between Monday night through Wednesday morning, said NWS meteorologist Valerie Meola.

But how much snow, and when, is anyone's guess.

"There's a lot that can change between now and then," Meola said.

If it seems like we've been getting hit with more precipitation than usual, it's because we have. But it's all relative.

NWS tracks weather daily at its Mount Pocono site. Since Dec. 1, 8.4 inches of precipitation have fallen. That's about a half-inch more than normal, Meola said.

But during the same period last year, 10.18 inches fell.

People are still cleaning up from the ice storm that stomped the region Tuesday into Wednesday, bringing down tree limbs and power lines and making roads treacherous.

But the area dodged a massive snowstorm that swept across the nation from the Rockies, burying the Midwest in a shell of snow and ice.

Classified Ads

Event Calendar


October 2017


Twitter Feed

Reader Photo Galleries