Glen Campbell, Nitty Gritty Band to perform in 2012 at Penn's Peak
Tickets went on sale this past weekend for two big concert events in 2012 at Penn's Peak:
• Glen Campbell will be at the venue on Thursday, April 19, with his "Goodbye Tour." Tickets are $45 and $40.
• The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band plays for the first time at Penn's Peak on Saturday, June 2. Tickets are $24 in advance and $29 the day of the concert.
In August, Campbell released his "final" studio album, "Ghost on the Canvas." The album was named one of the top 10 best new LPs of 2011 by the New York Daily News in its Sunday edition.
"Ghost On the Canvas" is the album that reflect's Glen Campbell's life. Take that as literally or figuratively as you like and it still is the case.
With beauty, power, heartfelt emotion and deep spirituality, this set of songs - a song cycle, if you will - traces the arc of Campbell's 75 years: From dirt-poor, tiny-town Arkansas origins to Hollywood triumphs on the pop charts, TV and movies. From barnstorming days of youthful touring to hobnobbing with Elvis, Sinatra and the Duke. From troubled freefalls of addiction and bad life choices to personal and spiritual redemption.
It was in June that Campbell said he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease six months earlier. He added he had been suffering from short-term memory loss for years.
At that time he announced that he intended to do a farewell tour before retiring from the music industry.
Campbell, a former Beach Boy, has had many major hits including "Wichita Lineman," "By the Time I Get To Phoenix," and "Galveston."
Recently, a major, very touching tribute was given to Campbell by his peers on a full-lenght network television program which chronicled his many accomplishments.
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band is a veteran band which has charted many songs including "Mr. Bojangles" and "Dance Little Jean."
The two-time Grammy winner is often cited as a catalyst for an entire movement in Country Rock and American Roots Music.
Their groundbreaking "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" album has been inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress as well as the Grammy Hall of Fame.
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's recording of "Mr. Bojangles" was also inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2010.
Here's the concert slate for Penn's Peak:
• Friday - The Fabulous Greaseband, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance, $22 day of show.
• Saturday - New Year's Eve Show with Live Wire, "the world's greatest AC/DC band," 9 p.m. Tickets $22 advance, $27 day of show.
• 20 - Air Supply, 8 p.m. Tickets $35 and $30.
• 28 - Parrotbeach, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance, $22 day of show.
• 4 - Edgar Winter & Rick Derringer, 8 p.m. Tickets $27 advance, $32 day of show.
• 11 - Valentine's Dinner Dance with Remember When. See Web site (www.pennspeak.com) for information.
• 17 - Rubix Kube with special guest Bayside Tigers, 8 p.m. Tickets $20 advance and $25 day of show.
• 18 - TESLA Twisted Wire Acoustic Tour Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Five Man Acoustical Jam, 8 p.m. Tickets $25 advance and $30 day of show.
• 24 - Winter Jam- featuring Blackberry Smoke with special guests Citizen Band Radio and Cabinet, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance and $22 day of show.
• 25 - Bruce in the USA, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance; $22 day of show.
• 2 - The Saw Doctors, 8 p.m. Tickets $24 advance and $29 day of show.
• 3 - SATISFACTION- The International Rolling Stones Show, 8 p.m. Tickets $15 advance and $20 day of show.
• 31 - Three Dog Night, 8 p.m. Tickets $40 and $35.
• 19 - Glen Campbell- The Goodbye Tour, 8 p.m. Tickets $45 and $40.
• 22 - The Music of Bill Monroe- Featuring Peter Rowan and the Travelin' McCourys, 8 p.m. Tickets $17 advance and $22 day of show.
• 2 - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, 8 p.m. Tickets $24 advance and $29 day of show.