Victorian House Tour given in Tamaqua
ANDREW LEIBENGUTH/TIMES NEWS One of the stops on the tour was the Shepp House. The center-turret Eastlake Victorian was erected by Shepp, an early industrialist and key player in the development and use of electricity, working in tandem with Thomas Edison. The historic building now serves as the law offices of Atty. Gary Marchalk and Northeast Pennsylvania Abstract Co. Pictured from left are Maria Montero, volunteer tour guide; Linda Marchalk, law office; Sophie Gursky, 13, volunteer; and Beverly and Dave Knoebel, of Hometown, who've been married over 50 years.
Visitors taking part in the Victorian House Tour in Tamaqua over the weekend were given the opportunity to learn about multiple Victorian homes and venues.
As part of the Tamaqua Spirit of Christmas (SOC) Festival held over the weekend, the tours involved shuttling visitors amongst eight different locations via a chartered bus.
Locations consisted of the 1864 Harlan House, 206 North Lehigh Street; 1873 Auchmuty House, 237 West Broad Street; 1902 William S. Pugh House, 236 West Broad Street; 1887 Daniel Shepp House, 204 East Broad Street; 1801 Burkhardt Moser log home; and finished at the 1874 Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Passenger Station, Railroad Street, one of the first train depots to be built of brick.
The depot also was one of very few small town depots to feature a full-service restaurant, operating until 1930, then re-opened 70 years later. Tour organizers stressed their appreciation to all the homes and volunteers that put this event together.