District won't raise taxes above the Act 1 index
TERRY AHNER/TIMES NEWS Newcomer Robin Distler is the newest school director on the Northern Lehigh School Board.
Northern Lehigh School District will not raise taxes above the Act 1 index in the 2012-13 school year.
The school board unanimously agreed on Monday to adopt a resolution to leave the index at 1.7-percent, whereby the adjusted index is 2.3-percent.
Sherri Molitoris, co-director of business affairs/human resources, told the board "we're feeling very confident that won't happen."
Passed by the state legislature in 2006, Act 1 requires school districts to limit tax increases to the level set by an inflation index, unless the tax increase is approved by voters in a referendum, or the school district obtains from the Department of Education or a court of common pleas certain referendum exceptions.
Also on Monday, the board bid farewell to a veteran school director.
Superintendent Michael Michaels presented outgoing Director Lori Geronikos with a clock from the board "for all your years of hard work with the students."
"We will miss you," Michaels said. "The board of education is so proud of you."
Geronikos, who served 12 years on the board, chose not to see re-election.
"I have enjoyed serving the district in this capacity," Geronikos said. "I have always been an advocate for students and education."
Though she will no longer serve on the board, Geronikos indicated she plans to remain active with the Northern Lehigh Education Foundation.
"Thank you so much," she said. "It's been an honor and a privilege to serve everyone here."
In other business, the board:
• Appointed Director Donna Kulp as CLIU representative for the term that runs from Dec. 2011 through June 2013.
• Approved the request of Suzanne Mengel, Slatington Elementary Guidance Counselor, to take an unpaid leave of absence on Feb. 6-7, 2012. She is requesting to use these two unpaid days in conjunction with two personal days on Feb. 3-4, 2012, so she can attend a family function. Correspondence received from the Education Association states that this request will not be considered as precedent setting for future requests.
• Appointed Ellen Kiss as the administrative detention supervisor in the senior high school. She will work Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30-4 p.m. throughout the 2011-12 school year that warrants detention coverage. Salary will be $20 per hour worked.
• Approved the request of employee #3380 to take a 12-week family medical leave, effective Jan. 3, 2012, for her own medical reasons. She will be using accumulated paid leave in conjunction with the family medical leave. The employee's intention is to return to their current position upon medical release from their attending physician.
• Approved the request of employee #6776 to take a 12-week family medical leave, effective Jan. 5, 2012, for her own medical reasons. She will be using accumulated sick days in conjunction with the family medical leave. The employee's intention is to return to their current position upon medical release from their attending physician.
• Approved Andrew Kern as a substitute art teacher and Gerald Strubinger as a substitute Social Studies teacher for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute teacher rates as approved on the supplementary personnel salary schedule.
• Approved Jennifer Sheridan as substitute custodian for the 2011-12 school year at the 2011-12 substitute rate as approved on the supplementary personnel salary schedule.
• Granted permission to Bryan Geist to attend the 45th annual Pennsylvania State Athletic Directors Association Conference from March 21-23, 2012, at the Hershey Lodge in Hershey, Pa, with the cost of registration $250, lodging, $322, and meals, $25, for a total approximate cost of $597, to be funded from the athletic department budget.
• Approved school board policy #103 plus attachments - Programs - Nondiscrimination in School and Classroom Practices, as presented after second reading.
• Approved the request of the senior high school administration to create a Slatington Elementary Tech Wizards Club. This club will help students work with computer programs, while enhancing their technology skills. The club will meet once a week from 3-4 p.m. from January through April. There will be no cost to the district to conduct this club.
• Authorized the Literacy Center of Allentown to conduct an Adult GED class two times per week for 33 weeks, or a total of 66 classes, at the high school from January through September, 2012. Further, the board also approved district administration to waive the use of facilities cost s at $20 per session, for a total of $1,320. The only cost to the district is the use of facilities.
• Appointed the law firm of Steckel # Stopp as solicitors for the Northern Lehigh School District for 2012 at a retainer fee of $2,000. There is no increase over last year's fee.