Palmerton District agrees to promote interim business manager
Palmerton Area School District has agreed to promote its interim business manager to financial consultant.
The school board, on a 7-1 vote Tuesday, agreed to change the status of Donna Les, retroactive to March 28, 2011, for a maximum of 16 hours a week until June 6, 2011. Director Tina Snyder was opposed. Director Carol Dwyer was absent.
Resident Josann Harry questioned the board on its decision when it already employs business administrator Lisa Vignone, whom she said has plenty of budget experience, on a full-time basis.
Board President Barry Scherer told Harry that is was the consensus of the board that since Les has been involved in next year's budget process from the start, that she see it through until completion.
"She [Vignone] has not involved herself in the budget process," Scherer said. "Donna has been carrying the full work load."
In other business, the board:
• Approved the 2011-2012 Food Service Budget with a .5 cent increase for lunch prices only on the one year contract renewal with Nutrition.
• Appointed Deborah Scheckler as board secretary with the annual salary of $1,500, prorated, effective Jan. 1, 2011 through June 30, 2011.
• Appointed Kimberly Ottinger, as assistant board secretary, effective April 20, 2011 through June 30, 2011.
• Approved the purchase of replacement equipment for the SS Palmer upper lab to be paid from Title 1 grant due to the lack of available funding from the general fund at a cost not to exceed $30,000.
• Approved the following new Science textbooks: Earth Science, 2010, Grade 9 Science; Biology, 2010, Biology I; Biology: the Unity & Diversity of Life, 2009, Biology II; Chemistry, 2012, Chemistry I & II/Honors Chemistry; Physics, 2009, Physics II/Honors Physics; Conceptual Physics, 2009, Physics I; Physical Science: Concepts in Action, 2011, Concepts of Physical Science Grades 11 & 12; Environmental Science: Your World, Your Turn, 2011, Concepts in Environmental Science Grades 11-12.
• Approved, on a 6-2 vote, with directors Darlene Yeakel and Susan Debski opposed, the resolution opposing Senate Bill 1.
• Approved General Obligation Bonds, Series A of 2010 Project Fund Portfolio through PLGIT.
• Approved, on a 7-1 vote, with Debski opposed, the Impact program with OAA at no cost to the district.
• Approved the retirement of Vernon Moyer, lead custodian at S.S. Palmer, effective Jan. 27, 2012.
• Approved the transfer of Sal Rios as lead custodian at the high school to custodian at the junior high school, effective March 21, 2011.
• Approved the transfer of Phillip McGarry from position of custodian assigned to the junior high school to lead custodian assigned at the high school, effective March 21, 2011.
• Approved Rose Mann to the position of cafeteria worker assigned to the high school for four hours per day, effective April 20, 2011. Rate of pay is in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, and may be adjusted at the conclusion of the negotiations.
• Approved the resignation of Teresa Merk, school psychologist, effective May 2, 2011.
• Accepted the resignation for retirement for John Sweeney, Health/Physical Education teacher, assigned to the junior high school, effective the end of the 2012-13 school year.
• Accepted Sweeney for the position of special training adviser for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 school years.
• Accepted the resignation retirement for Lisa Koller, learning support teacher, assigned to the junior high school, effective the end of the 2012-13 school year.
• Accepted the resignation of Ron Berger, sixth grade teacher at S.S. Palmer, effective April 5, 2011.
• Approved tenure to Miranda Allen, high school, industrial technology teacher.
• Approved the following new scholarships: Bo Tkach Under the Helmet and Hat Scholarship; Dave A. Smiley Memorial Scholarship; Palmerton Hungarian Club.
• Tabled a motion to approve Section 125 Flex Spending Plan with CB12 Benefits & Ins. Services through Kades Margolis with the upgrade of debit card convenience.
• Approved the request of the Towamensing Elementary sixth grade for a field trip to Medieval Times in Lyndhurst, NJ, chaperoned and paid for by the PTO with no cost to the district.
• Tabled a motion to approve Blake Campbell, Julian Lutz, Brent Green, Barry Chunko, Brandon Smale and Alyssa Wentz as summer maintenance employees at the rate of $7.25 an hour for 7 hours a day.
• Approved the summer credit completion program June 13-30, 2011, proctored by Andrew Remsing at the cost of $135 per subject, paid by the students.
• Accepted the following donations for placement at the junior high school: $200 for grass seed from the High School Environmental Club; a dogwood tree from Mike Ballard in memory of Lee Bollinger.
• Approved purchasing the 2009 state tax list from the PA Dept. of Revenue at no cost to the district.
• Approved the unpaid suspension of employee #1018 for three days, effective April 20, 2011.
• Approved the revision of the 2010-11 school calendar to adjust for another snow makeup day.
• Accepted the Single Audit Report, June 30, 2010.
• Approved the office paper bid to Contract Paper Group.
• Awarded the janitorial bids.