Colts' Green 6th at SIAL golf tourney
Patrick Deutsch/times news Palmerton's Todd Reichenbach (15) heads the ball away from Bangor's Derek Dell'Alba (4).
Marian's Josh Green had a strong showing at the Schuylkill League Golf championships and the Tamaqua girls cross country team picked up a huge sweep to highlight Wednesday's scholastic sports card.
Schuylkill League Tourney
Blue Mountain's Ryan Laudeman captured the Schuylkill League golf championship by firing a three-over-par 75 at Hidden Valley Golf Course.
Laudeman was one stroke ahead of both Pottsville's Justin Fiorillo and North Schuylkill's Derrick Reese.
Marian's Josh Green was the top local golfer. Green fired a 79 and finished in sixth place. Teammate Mark Postupack was 10th with an 84.
The top Jim Thorpe golfer was Dean DiBonifazio who fired an 85 and finished in 11th place. Panther Valley's Matt Tucker finished in 13th place with an 86. Two other local golfer rounded out the top-15 as the Colts' Brandon Dopira fired an 87 and the Panthers' Kory Lopata had an 88.
Stroudsburg handed Mountain Valley Conference foe Pleasant Valley an 18-0 setback on the links yesterday.
The Mounties' Yianni Korovesis was the medalist with an even-par 72.
Stroudsburg 18, Pleasant Vy. 0
Yianni Korovesis (S) def. Alex Kaye 3-0; Jim Catina (S) def. Bryan Baumgartner 3-0; Riley Hogan (S) def. Kyle Adamonis 3-0; Tim Kaiser (S) def. Brian Denaro 3-0; Chance Snyder (S) def. Colin Cook 3-0; Ashley Ward (S) def. Eliot Custred 3-0.
Played at Shawnee, par 72
Five different players scored as Palmerton posted a 5-2 Colonial League win over Salisbury.
Morgan Myers led the Bombers with a goal and an assist, while Marissa Larson, Morgan Mummey, Greta Hartsell and Karly Cesare all added single scores. Teammate Kelsey Eaton was credited with an assist on Hartsell's goal.
Palmerton keeper Lydia Anthony finished with five saves.
The Bombers jumped to 3-9 on the season.
Lehighton remained unbeaten in the Mountain Valley Conference with a 4-2 victory over Pocono Mountain East.
Jordyn Homyak and Rachel Werley paced the Indians' attack with a goal and an assist. Echo Bretz and Sarah Keer also chipped in with goals. The Indians' Courtney Berger and Kenzie Teno recorded assists.
Lehighton improved to 9-2 overall and 7-0 in the MVC.
Notre Dame of East Stroudsburgs held off a Northern Lehigh second half comeback to post a 2-1 Colonial League win.
K. Early and R. Rengito gave the Spartans a 2-0 lead at half with first-half goals.
Ryan Perkowski recorded the Bulldogs' lone goal.
Justin Molitoris grabbed 14 saves between the posts for Northern Lehigh (3-9, 2-7).
Ben Hagen scored two goals as Bangor defeated Palmerton, 3-1, in a Colonial League game.
Adam Berger had the Bombers lone goal. He was assisted by Trevor Sherman.
Bangor had a commanding 36-11 advantage in shots. Palmerton goalie Brett Snyder made 22 saves.
Blue Mt.-Jim Thorpe
Blue Mountain crusied to an 8-1 Schuylkill League victory over Jim Thorpe.
Mike Tobash scored twice for the Blue Eagles, who had seven different players pick up goals.
Matt Rich had the lone goal for Jim Thorpe.
Blue Mountain had a 30-14 advantage in shots. Justin Kaminski made 22 saves for the Olympians.
The Cardinals blanked the Indians at home, winning 2-0.
Lehighton goalie Shane Fordyce did his best by making 16 saves in net.
Lehighton drops to 3-7 (1-6) on the season.
Tamaqua traveled to Jim Thorpe and unleashed 28 shots on its way to a 5-1 victory over the Olympians.
Alex Wagner got the scoring started for the Raiders (10-2,6-1). She was followed by Lauren Mateyak. Ali Updike took over from there, scoring the next three goals for the hat trick.
Kayla Hope chipped in with two assists. Chey Bates made eight saves in goal.
Erica Smith scored the lone goal for Jim Thorpe.
PM West-Pleasant Valley
Kristin Cook, Sarah Elmontacir and Lauren Heckman swept singles play to help lift Pleasant Valley to a 5-2 Mountain Valley Conference win over Pocono Mountain West.
Pleasant Valley 5, PM West 2
Kristin Cook (PV) def. Gina Romano 6-0, 6-2; Sarah Elmontacir (PV) def. Katelyn Coyler 6-2, 6-0; Lauren Heckman (PV) def. Karenn Laclav 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Steph Clark/Angela Leonardi (PV) def. Trenasia Pilgram/Delia Rivera 8-2 proset; Sandra Dziadas/Jessica Dziadas (PMW) def. Emily Skutnik/Nicole Reeder 6-0, 6-0; Courtney O'Connell/Izabella Dzimra (PMW) def. Karli Williams/Erin Dougherty 6-1, 4-6, 6-3; Mellisa Smith/Michelle Ubbens (PV) def. Lauren Morales/Christina Madejyck 3-6, 6-1, 6-
In a Schuylkill League meet, Jim Thorpe swept Minersville.
The Lady Olympians scored a 21-38 victory over the Battlin' Miners while the Olympians ran away with a 20-45 win.
Kayla Susko and Erin Bucci paced the Lady Olympians by crossing the finish line in first and second place.
The Olympians' Josh Williams, Matt Curran, Adam Dachawicz and Chris Boyd finished second, third, fourth and fifth.
Jim Thorpe 21, Minersville 38
1. Kayla Susko (JT) 23:09, 2. Erin Bucci (JT) 23:33, 3. Emily Oakhill (M) 23:46, 4. Breanna Bentz (M), 5. Sandra Kimborowicz (JT), 6. Briana Gehres (JT), 7. Caitlin Henninger (JT), 8. Alex Chimahuski (M), 9. Angela Mason (M), 10. Jess Kohutka (JT).
Jim Thorpe 20, Minersville 45
1. Rich Hall (M) 18:29, 2. Josh Williams (JT) 19:50, 3. Matt Curran (JT) 20:07, 4. Adam Dachawicz (JT), 5. Chris Boyd (JT), 6. Christian Field (JT), 7. Nathaniel Flick (JT), 8. Darren Gehres (JT), 9. Chris Bergan (M), 10. Wyatt Murphy (M).
The Tamaqua girls took a huge step toward winning the Schuylkill League Division 1 championship, sweeping North Schuylkill and Pottsville. The Tamaqua boys lost to both the Spartans and crimson Tide.
In the girls meet, the Lady Raiders' Amber Carroll, Schuyler Schmidt, Colleen Rorke and Jess Leiby finished in second through fifth place respectively to lead the way. Tamaqua beat North Schuylkill, 17-43 and topped the Tide, 20-41.
The Tamaqua girls improved to 7-0 overall and 5-0 in the league. They will host unbeaten Blue Mountain next week in a meet that will decide the division championship.
In the boys meet, Joe Rudy's eighth place finish led Tamaqua, which lost to North Schuylkill, 20-39 and Pottsville, 15-42.
Paige Storer (P) 19:17, 2. Amber Carroll (T) 21:00, 3. Schuyler Schmidt (T) 22:59, 4. Colleen Rorke (T) 23:00 5. Jess Leiby (T) 23:01, 6. Diane Lindenmuth (NS) 23:13, 7. Caitlyn Dieter (NS) 23:38, 9. Dana Ansbach (T) 23:39, 10. Cecily Kohlmeir (T) 23:58.
Brendan Shearn (NS) 17:47, 2. Codi Wood (P) 19:00, 3. Christian Zanis (P) 19:15, 4. Jake Plachko (P) 19:21, 5. Eric Shanton (P) 19:25, 6. Dominic Direnzo (P) 19:36, 7. Devin Mashack (NS) 19:51, 8. Joe Rud (T) 20:29, 9. Jake Wallace (NS) 20:52, 10. Zach Oliviere 21:14.
Pleasant Vy.-ES North-
Pleasant Valley swept both East Stroudsburg North and East Stroudsburg South in its four-team Mountain Valley Conference meet.
The Lady Bears won both of their match-ups by a score of 15-50. Dana McAllister, Sam Klingel and Stacy Wojy finished 2-3-4 for the Lady Bears respectively. Teammate Kaitlyn Smith (sixth) also finished in the top ten.
The boys also won both, beating South 20-35 and North 19-41. Dan Rose matched McAllister with a second-place finish of his own. He was thirty second behind the winner. Alex Larkin (sixth) and Tom O'Leary (tenth) also placed in the top ten.
Pleasant Valley 15, ES South 50
Pleasant Valley 15, ES North 50
1. Kiana Tucker (S) 21:44; 2. Dana McAllister (PV) 21:50; 3. Samantha Klingel (PV) 22:05; 3. Stacy Wojy (PV) 22:05; 5. Sarah Myles (S) 22:24; 6. Kaitlyn Smith (PV); 7. Samantha Myles (S); 8. Justina McLaughlin (S); 9. Shannon Gardner (S); 10. Natalie Gilbert (S); 11. Stephanie Palmer (PV); 12. Elizabeth Buzzard (S); 13. Mallory Paradise (S); 14. Elizabeth Joyce (S); 15. Mari Cardelle (S).
Pleasant Valley 20, ES South 35;
Pleasant Valley 19, ES North 41
1. Mark Pfaeffle (S) 17:28; 2. Dan Rose (PV) 17:58; 3. Matt Koch (S) 18:01; 4. Mike Stuart (S) 18:39; 4. Karim Osman (S) 18:39; 6. Alex Larkin (PV); 7. Kennard Wilson (ESS); 8. Jeremy Rigotti (ESN); 9. Tom O'Leary (PV); 10. Steven Terrana (S); 11. Thang Desa (S); 12. Andy McLynch (S); 13. Jeff Hernandez (S); 14. Kirief Williams (ESN); 15. Mike Vito (S).
PM West-PM East
Lehighton ended up on the back end of a sweep in a Mountain Valley Conference meet in Swiftwater.
David Magyar led the Indians with a sixth-place finish, while Daulton Radler earned a top-15 spot finishing in 13th.
Emily Oldt paced the Lady Indians by finishing sixth. Amanda Acobu crossed the finish line in 14th.
PM East 15, Lehighton 50
PM West 15, Lehighton 50
1. Abby Ross (PME) 22:51, 2. Skyler Dunham (PMW) 23:40, 3. Sophie Conklin (PME) 24:39, 4. Mary Lapp (PMW) 25:15, 5. Mya Snyder (PME) 25:24, 6. Emily Oldt (L), 7. Jessica Benjamin (PME), 8. Shawna Donhoe (PMW), 9. Jule Walsh (PME), 10. Kristine Bengel (PME), 11. Jessica Ray (PMW), 12. Skye Transue (PME), 13. Tiffanyt Pyzik (PMW), 14. Amanda Acobou (L), 15. Emily Kramer (PMW).
PM East 16, Lehighton 34
PM West 26, Lehighton 29
1. Alex Price (PME) 18:48, 2. Jake Spies (PME) 19:57, 3. Chris McLane (PMW) 20:07, 4. Kyle Hoogestroat (PME) 20:30, 5. Aaron Herschlog (PME) 20:37, 6. David Magyar (L), 7. Tomas Priovzo (PMW), 8. Lee Munoz (PME), 9. Spencer Bachel-Hoover (PME), 10. Adam Larsen (PME), 11. Ray Mercado (PME), 12. Dylan Trangue (PME), 13. Daulton Radler (L), 14. Billy Jennings (PMW), 15. Stephen Nova (PMW).
Mahanoy Area swept Weatherly in a Schuylkill League meet.
The Golden Bears edged the Wreckers in the boys' meet, 27-28, and posted a 23-32 victory in the girls' meet.
The Wreckers' Andrew Vack led all harriers by crossing the finish line first in a time of 19:24. Suzanne Reigle paced the Lady Wreckers with a fourth-place performance.
Mahanoy Area 23, Weatherly 32
1. Paige Mahmod (MA) 25:15, 2. Taylor Finneran (MA) 25:27, 3. Emily Davidson (MA) 25:42, 4. Suzanne Reigle (W), 5. Devon Bizarre (W), 6. Tiana Genetti (W), 7. Erin Noon (MA), 8. Jaime Dougherty (W), 9. Erin Dougherty (W), 10. Brittany Filiziani (MA).
Mahanoy Area 27, Weatherly 28
1. Andrew Vack (W) 19:24, 2. Doug Wells (MA) 19:39, 3. Todd Techentine (MA) 21:03, 4. Matt Caccese (W), 5. Alex Sirkot (W), 6. Mark Swokeo (MA), 7. Michael Wirtz (MA), 8. Matt Cullen (W), 9. Shane Starkey (MA), 10. Lucas Rinker (W).
The Panther Valley boys' cross country team pulled out a one-point victory, defeating Nativity 27-28 in its Schuylkill League meet.
Although Nativity's Tyler Hunyara won the race, the Panthers scored more points since five of their runners placed in the top eight. Austin Karnish was the top finisher for the locals, as he came in second with a time of 21:53.
The girls did not score due to a lack of runners. Still, Sindle Griffiths came in first with a time of 22:15.
1. Sindle Griffiths (PV) 22:15, 2. Olivia Markovich (PV) 27:46, 3. Alyssa Marshall (PV) 27:54, 4. Sarah Mika (N) 32:16.
Panther Valley 27, Nativity 28
1. Tyler Hunyara (N) 20:40, 2. Austin Karnish (PV) 21:53, 3. Nick Brutts (N) 22:18, 4. Shane McGeehan (PV), 5. Mark Sabol (N), 6. Lenny Ogozalek (PV), 7. Michael Sloboda (PV), 8. Jake Ligenza (PV), 9. Antonio Laviada (N), 10. Connor Matz (N).