Bowmanstown School students hold 12th reunion
Gail Maholick/TIMES NEWS Members of the Bowmanstown School reunion committee are, front row, Doris Swolensky, Barbara Meinhart, Marlene Shupp and Carole Parsons. Back, Beth Rehrig, Lawrence Rehrig, Laird Swantz and Shirley Sickels.
Bowmanstown School is no longer, but the building has gone on to serve the community in a number of ways.
The students who attended the two-story building continue to meet and renew the friendships they made many years ago.
Recently, 65 classmates and guests had a chance to gather for the school's 12th reunion at Franklin Township Fire Company.
Attendees came from as far away as Florida, Arizona and Tennessee.
The school building is now used as a borough hall. It was formerly used as headquarters for Head Start.
More than 400 students attended the first reunion in 1988 at the Ashfield Fire Co. Jeannette Parsons initiated that first reunion along with her husband, John.
Bowmanstown School was built in 1903 and burned in a fire in 1950.
The school was rebuilt and reopened in 1954. Pupils in grades one through eight were taught in four rooms until 1959, when students started attending schools in Palmerton.
Two of the former teachers, Martha Ronemus and Perma Snyder, attended the reunion.
After students graduated from Bowmanstown School, they attended Palmerton High School.