'Night of the Bulldog' proclaimed for dual titles
The Night of the Bulldog.
From now on, May 20, 2010 will forever be known as such after Northern Lehigh School Board on a 7-0 vote recently agreed to make the proclamation. Directors Mathias Green and Natalie Green were absent.
That decision came after the board heard from varsity baseball coach Erv Prutzman and varsity softball coach Brian Schell, who spoke of how both their teams won a Colonial League Championship on the night of May 20, 2010.
Prutzman said not only did the teams win the CL championship on the same night; they did so by identical scores of 3-1.
"That was a very emotional night we will never forget," said Prutzman, who was visibly emotional. "Both teams support each other, and the kids really care about each other."
Schell thanked the board, administration, athletic director, maintenance groundscrew, parents, and of course, players, for last year's success.
"I hope you know and appreciate that we have a lot of special kids, who not only are good athletes, but are exceptional students," Schell said. "You should be really proud of them, because they are really turning out to being exceptional young men and women."
Board President Edward Hartman praised Prutzman and Schell for their roles in their teams' success.
"Congratulations to you guys," Hartman said. "You guys are a very important part of that."
In other business, the board:
• Appointed Director Donna Kulp as the board's alternate for the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit, and Director Natalie Green as the board's alternate for the Lehigh Career & Technical Institute.
• Appointed Katherine Kern as Temporary Vacancy Replacement, Slatington Elementary School 6th grade teacher, replacing current teacher on family medical leave, at the Substitute Teacher Rate Days 1-30; Day 31 and beyond $42,435 prorated, effective on or about Oct. 30, until exhaustion of teacher's 12-week leave, scheduled for approximately Jan. 22, 2011.
• Appointed Cynthia Fritzinger as Temporary Vacancy Replacement, Slatington Elementary School 5th grade teacher, replacing current teacher on family medical leave, at the Substitute Teacher Rate Days 1-30; Day 31 and beyond, $42,435 prorated, effective Sept. 7, until upon physicians release of teacher to return to work.
• Acknowledged aide Patricia Ingles has achieved Highly Qualified Status, and has supplied proof of such status to the superintendent's office. Ingles is entitled to a $1 per hour salary increase per the Memorandum of Understanding with the Educational Support Staff.
• Acknowledged teacher Michael Hammond has completed the requirements per the Collective Bargaining Agreement that would entitle him to a salary increase for the 2010-11 school year.
• Appointed Rebecca Druker, Renee Evans, Ellen Kiss, Michael Lehtonen, Candice Saville, Tanya Simms, and Jasmine Suarez as Substitute Secondary Detention Monitors for the senior high school for the 2010-11 school year. Work will be on an as-needed basis, and compensation will be at a salary of $20 per hour worked.
• Approved substitute teachers Ashley Krustick, Elementary and Middle Level Math; Harry Schwartz, Elementary; Jennifer Silliman, Elementary and Business Computer Information Technology; Joy Smith, Elementary, and Samantha Sontag, Elementary, for the 2010-11 school year at the 2010-11 substitute teacher rates as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule. Silliman and Sontag are pending verification of missing documents.
• Approved Gail Bauer as a substitute custodian for the 2010-11 school year at the 2010-11 substitute teacher rate as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule, pending verification of missing documents.
• Approved Bauer and Judy Hoffman as substitute cafeteria workers for the 2010-11 school year at the 2010-11 substitute rate as approved on the Supplementary Personnel Salary Schedule. Bauer is pending verification of missing documents.
• Authorized administration to enter into an agreement with Bethany Lengel, Certified Register Nurse Practitioner, to provide the required medical review of Individualized Education Programs (IEP) of students who are eligible for the ACCESS program, to confirm student services are needed and further that they are being provided. The cost for the service is $8 per IEP that is examined. Approved IEP's are reimbursed through the ACCESS program, as well as the medical review of the IEP.
• Authorized the superintendent to execute a letter of agreement for the 2010-11 academic year with the Center for Humanistic Change, Inc., to provide Student Assistance Program (SAP) Liaison services. The Student Assistance Teams in the school district will use these services.
• Approved a conference request for Paul Rearden to attend Improving School Performance Dec. 9-10, 2010, at the Hershey Lodge, Hershey, with the cost of lodging $165.39, travel, $90, and meals $50, for a total approximate cost of $305.39, to be funded from the Peters Elementary Principal's Budget.
• Approved changes to school board policy on Administrative, Professional and Non-Professional Employees, Personnel Files, as presented after their respective first readings.
• Authorized proper officials to enter into an agreement for one Northern Lehigh School District special education student to attend Salisbury Township School District in accordance with the promises and covenants contained in the agreement. The agreement is effective Sept. 7, 2010 through June 13, 2011.
• Approved a field trip request for the Biology I Class, high school classes, to attend the Philadelphia Zoo, Philadelphia, Oct. 26, 2010, to be funded by students and the high school Science department budget.
• Approved a field trip request for the South East Team, middle school, to Ellis Island in New York, April 28, 2011, to be funded by the PTO and student fundraising efforts.
• Approved a field trip request for the North Team, middle school, to the Historic Area of Philadelphia, June 2, 2011, to be funded by the PTO and student fundraising efforts.
• Approved abatement/ exoneration requests of per capita taxes, for the residents that fall within the guidelines, as presented.