Lehighton calls special session to explore property tax rates
Lehighton residents should have a clearer picture of what their 2011 property tax rates will be in the weeks to come.
Borough Council on Monday unanimously agreed to hold a special meeting Dec. 6 for adoption of next year's proposed budget.
As of now, no figures are able to be shared because last night marked the first time council had a chance to review the budget, according to treasurer Nicole Beckett.
Also on Monday, council tabled discussion of the H2M contract for the new fire station project.
Fire chief Jack Kuller said he wanted to know if council had any questions before the fire department enters into a contract.
"The fire department will have initial funding," Kuller said. "The active firefighters will have almost a quarter-of-a-million dollars invested in this project without anyone else giving a dime."
Kuller heaped praised on the borough office.
"I'd personally like to thank all the girls in the borough office for helping us to get our funding," he said. "I certainly hope council will cooperate with us and help us move along."
Councilwoman Melissa Ebbert told Kuller "I'd like to commend you guys."
In an unrelated matter, council, on a 4-3 vote, agreed to cancel its contract with AD Computer for payroll services, effective Dec. 31, 2010. Councilman Darryl Arner, John Bird, Scott Rehrig and council President Grant Hunsicker were in favor. Ebbert, Councilman Dale Traupman and Councilwoman Bessie Bauchspies were opposed.
By the same 4-3 margin, council agreed to utilize the services of SafeChoice for payroll processing.
In other business, council:
• Tabled a motion to approve the 2011-12 police contract.
• Agreed to purchase a Toshiba eStudio2330c copier for the police department at a cost of $6,354.
• Agreed to advertise for a public hearing for the wind turbine ordinance.
• Agreed to advertise for adoption the 2009 version of the International Property Code.
• Reappointed John Quinn as zoning officer for December.
• Tabled discussion of the new lighting for the annex gym.
• Tabled discussion on the Turko Project parking lot.
• Acknowledged the receipt of a $1,500 donation from the Lehighton Area Soccer Club.
• Acknowledged the Amp Safety Award to the L&P Department for having no days off due to accident or injury.
• Acknowledged Barry Fisher, who received the Amp Hard Hat Safety Award.
• Approved the holiday hours for borough employees.