Carbon County Agency on Aging announces Medicare Prescription Drug Plan assistance
Carbon County Area Agency on Aging is announcing that open enrollment for Medicare Prescription Drug Plans will begin on Nov. 15 for area residents.
The agency is currently scheduling appointments to assist anyone who needs assistance comparing or enrolling in a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan for the year 2011 and who does not have access to the Internet.
Residents on Medicare who need help can call the Agency on Aging at 1-800-441-1315 or 610-824-7830 to schedule an appointment for assistance.
Appointments are required and will be scheduled at the following locations:
• Agency on Aging will take appointments on Nov. 18, Dec. 2, 9, and 16 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Lehigh Carbon Community College, Nesquehoning campus, on Nov. 19, Dec. 3, 10, and 17 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Weatherly Senior Center, Nov. 16, 23, and 30, and Dec. 7 and 14 from 9 a.m. to noon
• Penn-Kidder Senior Center, Nov. 17, and Dec. 1, 8, and 15 from 9 a.m. to noon
• Lehighton Senior Center, Nov. 15, 22, and 29, and Dec. 6, 13, and 20 from 9 a.m. to noon.
The information and enrollment process will take approximately an hour and a half. Trained personnel will be available to assist in drug comparisons.
For residents with access to the Internet, the following website medicare.gov can help by providing a personalized plan finder where one can enter their prescriptions with dosage and frequency along with their Zip code to receive plans available to them in their area. This will result in a listing of plans, describing the drugs covered, cost and other information necessary to make a good decision.
If a resident can work independently on the website, but needs access to the Internet, each senior center has Internet access during normal business hours of 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Please contact the senior center closest to you for availability.
• Lehighton Senior Center: (610) 377-1530
• Palmerton Senior Center: (610) 826-4505
• Panther Valley Senior Center: (570) 669-9930
• Penn Kidder/JT Sr. Center: (570) 325-4980
• Weatherly Senior Center: (570) 427-8175